Direct Mail

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mrkosar, Jan 24, 2007.

1. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Hey fellas got a few questions about direct mailing for you.

What have you found to get the best response rates?

Type of Mailing: Self Mailer postcard, Regular Postcards, Big, Small, One-Two sides?

Offer: Free first app., $25 off first app., Free Aeration, etc..?

Time of year: Early Jan., Now, Feb., March, Early or Late Fall? I'm worried about sending them out now, and having most people prepaid already.

Thanks for any help you can give me. I really don't want to waste $3,000 on direct mailing if it is the wrong time of year to do it.

When do you guys send out your prepay letters?

2. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

Pre pay have been out since Jan 12th, some people send them out with last invoice.

Pre-production postcards around your service area announcing when you will be there with a price is the best return for the money. jumbo cards are the best. if you only have 3k to spend then you wont be happy with the results

3. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

yeah, unfortunately I got to agree. $3000 wont do much. If it were me I would split that $3000 in 3 and do three small, very targeted mailings to the same addresses

I think this will get you the most attention rather than doing a one time larger mailing using up your whole budget

you'll really want a nice mailing piece to help get any kind of bang for your buck. I'd also suggest a follow up phone call (of course follow Do Not Call protocol). This wont add $$ to your budget...just your time (but remember time is $$ so have a good script) You might also want to get out in those neighborhoods on Saturdays and even Sundays to stop and chat with the folks you see out and about their properties.

you shouldnt expect to gain much by simply mailing out $3000 worth of postcards....you'll need a strategy and tons of effort to get any return

good luck