Direct Mail

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by PlantscapeSolutions, Dec 14, 2011.

1. PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

I thought I would start a direct mail thread to see what others have done and what prices they paid. I'm sure I'm not the first person to start a thread like this. I used www.catusmailings.com and paid about 32 cents per piece in quantities of 5000. I targeted mostly million dollar home areas. These were 5x6 prints.

The picture attached is work I did and not clip art. I will probably be guilty of using clip art on my next batch which will be more lawn service oriented.

Scan0001.jpg

2. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

I really like tht. Did u make the design yurself?
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. PlantscapeSolutions

It was my pictures and the graphic artist who came up with the layout. Printmail.com did the design but lost my business because they head their head up their azz on the mailing lists.

4. srl28

srl28 LawnSite Bronze Member

Now the bigger and more important questions....how did they work for you?

5. KrayzKajun

I've actually had great success with direct mail. I designed my postcard. Had overnightprints.com do the printing. I make my own mailing list and usually get a few friends to help put mailing labels on. Plan to do 3x 2500piece mailings for the spring. One in Jan and two in feb. I'm designing two new postcards, one directed towards mowing and the other landscape & tree services.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. PlantscapeSolutions

I was thrown a monkey wrench this spring that pushed my delivery time into the heat of summer. And of course it was the hottest summer since records have been kept in the 1800's.

The first company I went with was in Washington and had no track record issues at all. But as the process moved further along things started to slow down and then they went out of business. Thank god I used my credit card and not a check so I got my $1800 back.

I then went to my second choice Cactus and they did my right. I did get some work from the cards but not as much as I would like. The one customer I can recall picking up has spent $3000 since July. Timing is everything.

7. PlantscapeSolutions

How much was the postage per piece and overall cost? Seems like it would take a lot of time and fuel to run around compiling a list. The benefit of buying a list is you can set property values and get tons of houses in upscale gated areas you do not have access to. There are a multitude of other filter option you can select from as well.

Once you buy the list which only cost me $175 for 5000 address's you can usually use it again and only pay a CASS certification fee that is possibly $20. You would probably save money and a tremendous amount of time & effort by just using one service like Cactus to do all the legwork for you.

8. KrayzKajun

Only reason I make my own list is target specific communities. I just started working in an area tht is about 30miles from my house. Ill make a list just for this area and target the communities in a 5mile radius. With cactus mailing how do would I get the list from them to mail my postcards?
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Our County website has a great property index system, I can actually search specific subdivisions and import and export the address lists into my label program, just a thought, does any of your guy's county have any good property programs, might be a useful tool..

10. phillie

phillie LawnSite Senior Member

I do my own design, address compiling, labelling, stamping, and mailing. I pay 26.3 cents per postcard when doing 5k. It goes down from there the more I do.