direct mailer question..........

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by green thum, Aug 8, 2005.

1. green thum

green thum LawnSite Member

I've started thinking forward about advertising again and have seen alot of you say that you use direct mailers or postcards,how do you go about setting this up or getting info about it in your own town??

2. radracer

radracer LawnSite Member

Call your local post office and ask them for the number to the bulk mail center. They will give you all the information that you need. Hope this helps

Harold

3. HeartOfTexas

HeartOfTexas LawnSite Member

Green Thum,

There will be direst mail companies in the phone book that can help you. There is a company in Florida called postcard mania (www.postcardmania.com I think). They will design you postcard for you and mail it out. however, I think you have to provide them with the maiing list. They can get very cheap mailing rates but have a minimum of 5,000 mailing pieces.

Or, as others have said, you could do it yourself with some help from the post office. You will need to buy a bulk mail permit but its kind of cheap.

Jerry

4. MrFangs

MrFangs LawnSite Member
    from Zone 8

I was also wondering about direct mailing.

For those who have done it - How many have you sent and what was the bill? Also, what type of responce have you got? Would you do it again?

5. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

<marquee loop="infinite" bgcolor="#DDDDDF"><font color="#000000">Have a tax question? Need free business advice? Ask our CPA. Click Here </font></marquee>
    Hi green thum,

You will need a design concept, a mailing list and then a way to address your material and have it mailed. If this is your first time doing this, you might want to consider having a marketing company do this for you.

Also you may want to consider what specials you will advertise and for what time range. You are probably going to want some sort of special that must be acted upon by a certain date in order to nudge the consumer into action.

<tr bgcolor="#C0C0C0"><td align=left><a HREF="http://www.gophersoftware.com/?ref=1">Download and try Gopher Free for 30 days.</a><BR>See if we can help you.</td><TD align="center"></td><td>[​IMG]</td></tr></table>
    <center>Free Web Templates. Free Invoice Background Template Graphics.</center>

6. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

Here , where I live , we don't have to use addresses , it's just gotta state
    "Postal Patron " and the permit number along with what you want it to state .
    Cost is for postage is $120 for evry 1,000 mailed
    I get 30,000 printed for $750.00.
    The cost for post cards and postage is about $4,300.00 for the 30,000

7. SellOut

SellOut LawnSite Member
    from Zone 8

and how many calls do you get from that 30,000? enough to cover that HUGE price of 43 hundred?

8. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

too busy , do a search and you'll find where I answered several times .
    No offense intended

9. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Don't remember the exact numbers. But we made something like 8-900 mailings in late winter. Received 2 or 3 phone calls. Mailed to same exact addresses about month later when spring rolled around...got exactly two phone calls. So the percentage was something like 1% on both mailings. FYI, out of the 800 I mailed 20-30 commercial establishments...figured I take a stab at it. Got one hit through the first mailing...landed the account.

I used microsoft publisher to design a one page flyer that folded in half. Went down to the local post office...asked them if this would be okay...they basically gave me a stamp of approval. I mailed two out to relatives to ensure it would work.

Used a local print shop to make full color flyers w/3 photos per flyer. Charged something like $0.35 per copy. They placed the company name, in color in the return address and also folded all 2k copies...oh ya the paper was a higher quality (in thickness) and was also a color (i.e. non-white). I believe on-line places can do it for about 10-20 cents cheaper (perform a search...gobbs and gobbs of good info). Needless to say we spent ~700 just on copies. I spent hours revising the flyer throughout the winter...can't really put a dollar figure on that.

Long story short...I have a quote to go present...decided NOT to go with USPS bulk mailing...instead bought the good 'ol $0.37 stamp. ~Another $750. All in all between labels, clear tabs for closing flyers it came out to about $1.00 per flyer. So $2k total for about two mailings.

We received less than 1% on callbacks. HOWEVER...we received at least 5 times the amount spent back in gross income (NOT revenue) from the 4-5 phone calls. AND....best of all...this has landed us more and more accounts...word of mouth...'I've seen you working over there'...'I understand you performed that job'....etc. Not to toot our horn but we got enough work in the spring that I didn't mail out the third flyer set. I plan on mailing more out over the next few weeks to try and get a little busier in the fall.

So, for us, it worked great and I'm going to expand the grid next spring.

10. SellOut

SellOut LawnSite Member
    from Zone 8

would yuopu say to use doorhangers or mailing? which one in yiour opinion would work better?