1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

direct mailers

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by plateau lawn care, Jan 16, 2005.

1. plateau lawn care

plateau lawn care LawnSite Member
    from georgia

Does anyone use the computer program that gives you all the addresses and zip codes in an area for direct mailings. If so what kind of response do you get. Do you all think you would have better luck of someone not throw it away as junk mail because they are interested to see what is in the envelope.
  2. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

There's alot on this subject in "Elements of Business" area.
  3. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

First, I believe you will see that you will want to use postcards vs. envelopes because the difference in .37 and .23 cents will add up real quickly.

Second, the problem with such a program is that you will not know who is a home owner and who is not which may effect using your services and you may not know which are apartment addresses.

What we do is "buy" our mailing list from a local company that can sort and break them down anyway we ask and it is not very expensive.
  4. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone know a general expected success rate for the mail outs?
  5. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Boy, I hate to give this away. There is a website that allows you to enter a street address and look up all the addresses on the street. If you know where you want to target, this is a good tool. I use it to target neighborhoods that I am already in. It's a bit time consuming to create a database with these addresses, but there is nothing else going on during the winter and there is plenty of time to do it. This is how I am going to create my mailing list, and I'll be targeting the neighborhoods I am already in and want to be in.

6. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Nice Link!!! Thanks MTD
  7. mtdman

And people say my posts are worthless!

8. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

tom, you are the best. i never said your posts are worthless. :):)

9. mtdman

Hey, don't let that get around!

10. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Tom, I also really hate to say this but that site is not really on the money at all. The reason being is it uses Published Telephone Numbers to get the addresses and I just tried a customer of mine that I know has an unpublished phone number and the site returned NO addresses for that street at all and it probably has 100 homes on it and I service 8 on it. So that means that you have the chance of missing many homes on a street.