Direct mailing for lawn maintenance and landscaping

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by DLONGLANDSCAPING, Dec 17, 2010.

DLONGLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

I am contemplating whether to direct mail my post cards this spring and was wondering what the return vs. door hangers are. I am looking at ordering 20,000 post cards and targeting an area of 10,000 households. I will send out the first round in late February, and then around 2-3 weeks later to really get my name out there.

Last year i handed out around 10k fliers by hand and it took 6 employees around a 4 full days to hand all of them out. And cost and arm and a leg because no one like to walk around door to door for 4 days straight. I got around 140 calls and landed close to 65 new accounts that i choose from because some people wanted their lawn cut for 15 and i objected.

What i am thinking is if i target one specific city or area of people and send my postcard 2 times that there will be 200 percent more likely to call me. Direct mail, printing, design and postage costs around 26 cents each, so for 20k im running right around 5k in advertising. If i handed out them by hand it would take me 8 full days working 10 hour days with 6 guys. So 600 per day to hand them out x 8= 4800 plus printing fee's

My dilemma is if i pass them out by hand and put them in the door handle or storm door, when people go get their mail, they will have to either pick up my postcard or take it off their door and LOOK at it.

I do direct mail ,and half the people dont even look or acknowledge my card in their mail and put it aside with all the other junk mail and advertisements that people get.

Let me know what works best for you guys, im looking to get another crew started and work full time this year with around 150 residential and 10 commercials,
  2. lawnkingforever

lawnkingforever LawnSite Bronze Member

Every market differs, but I am not seeing the returns on flyers and postcards anymore. It seems like so many people are passing out flyers in the same neighborhoods, that this form of advertising is not generating the leads like it used to. If I am mowing a current customer, I willl go door to door in that particular area and hand out business cards, with the hope of actually speaking and meeting with people as I hand them out.
  3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I was quoted .139 cents for postage on 5.5" x 8.5" postcards.
  4. wbw

wbw LawnSite Fanatic

If it took 6 employees 4 days to hand them out and you got 65 customers from it, I would be doing it again this year. Sounds to me like an excellent return.
  5. srl28

srl28 LawnSite Bronze Member

6 employees at say 12.00 a piece is $72 per hour. 4- 8 hour days is 132 hours. All multiplied is $2,304 not including gas and of course whatever it was they were handing out, ie. postcards. With numbers like that, you better land a bunch of accounts!
  6. Mountain Peak

Mountain Peak LawnSite Member

Post card response rates are WAY DOWN is this economy. I'm expecting less that 1% call back this year and I usually get at least 2%.
    I'm thinking of just going door to door in the neighborhoods I want to grow in and go from there.
  7. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

This year I am doing a mailout of about 2500 post cards. I am doing another newspaper flyer insert of 7,500, and about 2500 doorhangers. Market saturation!!!
  8. betterlawnsandlandscaping

betterlawnsandlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Where did you get your quote from?
  9. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I went to the local yellow pages and found somebody under the heading Mailing Services. Those prices are for mail carrier routes only. You can get a copy of mail carrier routes from The routes will show you a map and other info like average income and home value.

I also asked them about mailing list. Whether they provide the list or me, the cost is slightly higher. They were suppose to call me back for some pricing info, but they never did.

I am guessing with the popularity of email, this is the reason these postage rates have come down. I did a postcard mailing years ago with a service and at that time postage for postcards were around .23 cents. I think I only paid around .18 or .19 through a mailing service off the internet. I think another reason they might be cheaper is because they are only being mailed locally.
  10. rnd

rnd LawnSite Member

Visit to see industry specific promotional materials at an affordable cost

See full color layouts of Door Hangers, Brochures, Statement Stuffers to upsell, Direct Mail Pieces / postcards, newsletters and much more

New UV Coating on full color lawn signs - marketing packages with discounts

Download a FREE marketing planner and Handbook to layout your marketing plans