direct mailing help

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by f150 with bobcat, Jan 2, 2009.

1. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

What was the process of getting your USPS bulk mailing permit? Was it expensive? I would love to get some info on this.

2. ford550

ford550 LawnSite Member
    from PA

I did this as well, LOL. It allows us to target the neighborhoods exactly. A lot of the 'hoods we send to are new and therefore are not in the maps yet, so that's why we can't do that.

3. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Hi DLAWNS,

Process wasn't that bad at all. Go to your local post office (make sure they do bulk mailing) and ask to speak with the postmaster. Explain to him (or her) what you are trying to accomplish and they should help you out. There is a one time fee (I think $150) and another annual fee ($100 or so I believe) that you are required to pay. If my memory serves me correctly, my first year including both fees I saved something like 50 bucks and I only did about 1600 mailings. I've increase my mailings to around 2k and I definately save over paying first class postage.

FYI, biggest pain was the mailing labels you need to place in the postal service bins. YOu need to call someone in the edison office and have them made up and delivered to you (no extra cost). Allow 3-4 weeks for this...so start now if looking for end feb/march mailings.

Keep in mind you also have to sort per zip code and there are min. mailings. Like I said you need to take a little closer look to see if it makes sense. Oh, and they don't accept CC's for payment...cash or check.

PM me with any specifics.

4. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

Cool, man. Thanks for the help. I will look into it over the winter.

5. fman872

fman872 LawnSite Member