Direct Mailing List

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by osmann_lawn, Dec 26, 2011.

1. osmann_lawn

osmann_lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Hello:
    I have 2,500 postcards that i would like to get residential address for. I am wondering how you make your own list? Where do you find the address? I don't really want to pay $200.00 for someone to email me a list in 5 min. I would rather figure out how to make my own. I have bought some labels from office max. I already printed 3 pages out using google maps. Is that what you use to get address or is there a faster way? let me know,
    Thanks,
    Ryan

2. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

I make my own. Write down street name look up on yellowpages get addy or on washout days ill ride around making a list. I'm working on my new list today. It may take a lil while and cost a few cents more to mail but, I know exactly what houses are getting my material.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. osmann_lawn

Thanks, That's what i will have to do. I don't have a ton of postcards so it should not be that bad. I have a month or so to get them done.

4. Growin Green

Growin Green LawnSite Member

I think if you go onto the county website, and get to the gis map system, you will find a link to get what you need.

5. osmann_lawn

Thanks Growin Green! That program is awesome. That will help me out a lot.

6. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Are you addressing these in a personal way, or by neighborhood? Something i'm looking into is http://www.uspseverydoor.com/index.php/retail from the US postal service which allows you to select by carrier route where you want to target. There are limits (minimum size) and maximum per day (5,000), but it looks like something to look at a little closer.

7. phillie

phillie LawnSite Senior Member

Do you have to have a bulk mail permit for this service? It says something about a business ID number. I have a bulk mail permit now but it was $180 for the year which kind of mad it worthless because of how little I used it. However, it only brought my postage down to 22 cents not 14 cents. I wonder what the difference is.

8. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Tax assessors grand list ask for them to make you one of residential properties. Then once you got that clean it up yourself pick the streets you want and unlike phone books this gives you the names of all those that no longer use land lines or are unlisted. Probably should of kept that tip to myself but I am sure I must of read it once as well other wise how did I end up doing it that way.

9. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

you would want to pick the "retail" option, and it would seem that signing up for the account is easy enough to get the number. read in there more, because i'm pretty sure the "retail" option didn't require the bulk mail account, just a USPS business account identification.

10. phillie

phillie LawnSite Senior Member

It seems easy enough, the part that trips me up is the video that tells you how to set up a mailing. It says to check the permit you are using then gives options of precancelled stamps which are 10 cents a piece, which brings it up to 24 cents per. The other one I remember was an imprint permit, which I am not sure what that is. It would be nice to not have to put addresses on them. I wonder if you have to mail from certain locations, like I do when I bulk mail now.