Direct mailing postcards. Do they payoff?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING, Dec 29, 2011.

1. DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

Who has done direct mailing postcards? Has it been a worthwhile marketing strategy for you or not? What has been your R.O.I.?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

I love direct mailing. I made a new mailing list about 6000 addresses. I plan to do a big mailout mid-end January. And then do several smaller target mailouts to areas I get a good response from the mass mailout.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

Kajun,
    What does a 6000 mailer cost you? Do you use a co. To do it for you?
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Why January? Seems the timing might be a little early, what's your thoughts on timing, etc.? I believe timing is EVERYTHING!

5. KrayzKajun

I do them myself. It would prolly be cheaper to use a company. I just don't trust their mailing list. I know exactly which houses and subdivisions get targeted. The home value, and income vary way too much here to base a list just off of that. Plus in a 5mile radius from my house there atleast 15 different Zipcodes.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. In my experience, no they didn't work. I did 3 to the same exact neighborhoods. The only calls I got from them were from nutjobs. I spent a good chunk of change b/t the custom postcards and the postage. I would invest the money in a website instead.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. KrayzKajun

I'm in Southern Louisiana. We usually start weekly mowing 1st week of March. I'm actually going mow about 10yds 2morrow. Timing is key, so is name recognition. Ive been around long enough now that name recognition is really paying off. I get a lot of customers who call and say I got your postcard in the mail & I remember seeing your truck and trailer.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC

Very True, Name recognition is a factor, and I also don't think there is any right or wrong way to advertise, but like said before timing is EVERYTHING, but I will admit my most successful methods of advertising have been FREE....

9. Southscapes03

Southscapes03 LawnSite Member

I sent out 10k thru Val-Pak once and got 1 call that didn't yield any $$$$. So in my experience, its a waste of money. That being said, I dont advertise at all....its all word of mouth. Every dime I have ever put towards something that had my company name and phone # was a waist.:hammerhead:

But if i was going to spend money on advertising, if would have to be on the web, and ensure that when someone searched for lawn care or landscaping in your area on google, your name was on the top 5 of the list

10. NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC

I could see val-pak as a waste and not efficient advertising for the simple fact that your mixing yourself in between other ads, etc. and will most likely get skipped over or not looked at period, I think a direct mail postcard is more efficient and better seen and has a better ROI% in the long run....