Direct Mailing

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by billc, Mar 3, 2004.

1. billc

billc LawnSite Member

Have any of you had success with direct mailing? What response rate (industry says 3% is good)? If so, do you recommend a letter or postcard or????

2. griffithtlc

griffithtlc LawnSite Member

That is what we are going to try this year. We have targeted certain areas and are going to send them are brochure with a coupon in it for Fertilization. Hoping to get some more accounts but time will tell if it works or not.

3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Yes, from what I hear 3% would be great. The norm from people that have used this type of media say 1%-2% is average. This if the first time I am sending out postcards and 2% of the 5000 I am sending would be fine with me. If I can get 20-25 additional mowing accounts, I would be happy. Here is what mine looks like. Keep in mind, this is not the final copy, some wording and spelling corrections have been made.

proof1-27[1].jpg

4. grasssin

grasssin LawnSite Senior Member

nice card, very nice card

Good luck with that. By the way how much is it going to cost you to print 5,000 of those up and then mail them with postage?

I did 200 last year and to print full color cost $200, buying the adresses online was another $200 and postage was $89 and I recieved 0 calls?!?!?!?

Who are you using to mail them for you or are you doing it yourself?

5. walker-talker

from Midwest

6. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

We just signed up with Mail Marketing Systems Inc. Sending 10K to one targeted zip code, they did the artwork / layout, full color one side( the other side is the "have you seen me?" missing child flyer) 5 3/8" X 8" for $ 40.00 per 1000.I'd love to see 3% for hydroseeding and mowing! I'll settle for 1%. Anything new over $ 500.00, and the ads are paid for, and getting our name and brand recognition out there...

7. walker-talker

from Midwest

That sounds like a hell of a deal...I always take the time to at least look at the pics of the missing child. They are full color or did you mean 1 color?

8. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

FULL color..you can change your flyer design as often as you want as well..spring/summer/fall/winter/specials, etc..and as long as you hold the ad spot, no one else can use that flyer, you're the only advertiser to use the missing child cards..

9. Dan the mowing man

Dan the mowing man LawnSite Member

Impactlandscaping could you tell me how to get in touch with mail marketing systems. Thank you.

10. walker-talker

from Midwest

Yes, but to hold the ad spot, you have to go with them as long as they want you...if that means 10 times a year...then you better have $5000 to spend...correct?