1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Direct Mailings (what are you paying?)

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by SLS2007, Feb 24, 2011.

1. SLS2007

SLS2007 LawnSite Member

I am currently doing a direct mail campaign, it seems very expensive to me so I am wondering what people are typically paying (per piece) There are some bigger companies around my area that do TONS of mailings and I'm wondering how they can do it...even if they are bigger companies
  2. SLS2007

SLS2007 LawnSite Member

I would be looking for a total cost on the mailings which would include the postage as well. Thanks to anyone who can give me some insight
  3. Golfpro21

Golfpro21 LawnSite Senior Member

we pay 14cents per piece, includes double sided colour printed, dropped in mail....have to be ordered in batches of 5000, we also get to pick postal codes so we can target specific areas.
  4. CLS LLC

CLS LLC LawnSite Senior Member

That doesn't make sense. Even bulk mailing rates for post cards is somewhere around 19 cents. That's postage only.

To the OP, last year I sent out 2500 just to test direct mail out. I paid somewhere in the range of $900 for everything so that's 36 cents each.
  5. Golfpro21

not here in Ontario.....we look after a company that produces mass mailing magazines and stand alones, they in turn give us crazy rates.......yes we pay 14 cents for printing and for delivery by post
  6. Golfpro21

we sent out 10,000 last fall and were invoiced $1400, and then that is paid via contra
  7. SLS2007

SLS2007 LawnSite Member

wow that's cheap......I'm paying about .23 for the postage alone. I hired an advertising company to create them for me because we are going to start "branding" my company so we start using repetition in advertisements that we are doing. I also bought a couple of lists so that is why mine are a bit higher in price as well.
  8. silverwoolley

silverwoolley LawnSite Member

There is a guy here that owns a couple pizza shops... He came up with a coupon letter that he has delivered to 10,000 homes every month. Price is $400 a month and its just a 1 page paper in an envelope that has about 9 coupons on it from different business'. It gets delivered to the door over a 3 week period.
  9. Golfpro21

thats a cheaper option....you just have to be careful though, you are in an envelope with 8 other companies, so you only have a 9th of a chance of catching someone's attention.....we have tried this option, and can honestly say that going solo on a stand alone produces much better results.

Not once have we lost money on sending out stand alones (direct mailiers)
    If we spent $1000 on a run, we have never brought in less than $4000 in new business, and that is only for the current season, then factor in that this new customer is going to remain a customer for atleast 2 more seasons (if you keep them happy) and that $4000 turns into $12,000 plus the chance to sell them on other services each year. Then there is word of mouth from those customers, so really if you have a good stand alone, you could be looking at serious revenue over 3 years for a $1000 investment.
  10. eco.lawns

eco.lawns LawnSite Member

Ive never done direct mailings before. What are some good companys to look into?
    Posted via Mobile Device