Direction of the Industry

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by heygrassman, Aug 18, 2002.

1. heygrassman

heygrassman LawnSite Senior Member

Where do you all see the industry heading in the next 5, 10, 15 years?

Where do you see efficiencies emerging??

What is going to revolutionize the industry?

What is going to help you make more money??

I would be curious to hear the perspective from our manufacturer friends as well.

2. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

I expect to see a greater turn over in LCOs. Both scrub and those that have been in a while. I made it 6 years before I had to get out due to allergies, and other things.

As far as making more money I think you will need to be come more creative in how to save money in all areas. I expect to see prices to remain depressed for a long time.

3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

thecream will come to the top.
    those who can adapt to changing situations will make it.
    these new lazer things gonna kill somebody . just my impression,as i dont have first hand knowledge of the systems.
    and last ,i dont think we ll see the time again here anyway,that one newspaper add for say, a summer, will give u more than u can do.
    was a time it was like that here.

4. RMDoyon

RMDoyon LawnSite Member

The home services market will continue to grow at a healthy rate for the next 20 years as baby boomers retire and the "do it for me" mentality dominates their buying preferences.

These market forces will naturally create price pressures which will force a commodity model to emerge and force generic operators to either adapt to these pressures or accept defeat.

This opens the way to vendor consolidation and fewer and fewer operators. FACT: Currently the top 4 lawn care companies in the US control less than 5% of the market.

Only through strong branding and local market domination can independent businesses hope to thrive in the future service business war.

Mowing technology will not change appreciably but grass seed technology will. Grass will require less mowing, water and chemical inputs for pest control which dovetails nicely with environmental concerns over real or perceived risks to public health.

Noise reduction and energy conservation will dominate the manufacturers engineering time as people live closer and closer together and regulatory activity increases with regard to noise pollution and fossil fuel exhaust.

Regulation WILL increase in regards to service businesses. To include hours of operation and acceptable db ratings of equipment used. Not to mention pesticide use and abuse.

Certifications will be available in "water resource management" opening a brave new world of opportunity to those businesses serving the both the affluent and the merely comfortable.

One analogy, however inadequate; 20 years ago the term "big box retailer" was a bit of industry jargon, now it is how the majority of Americans shop.

Of course I may be completely wrong.

5. ADLAWNCUTTERS

ADLAWNCUTTERS LawnSite Member

i have been in business for over 20 years,i think it will be flooded with scrubs because of the economy.the prices will go down.and finding good help is a bear now.i think the younger people of today are lazy and spoiled.not all but most.but i could be wrong:cool:

6. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

All Landscaping will be done over the internet! It's the wave of the future, man! Thank God for Al Gore inventing it! :laugh:

7. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah and Al Gore claimed he invented the tunnel of love.