Direction problems

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PRECISION LC, Apr 20, 2003.

1. PRECISION LC

PRECISION LC LawnSite Member

I was just wondering if you mow every part of the lawn the same direction. i have seen some lco's go one way in the front another in the back, or diff directions in the front if split by walk or drive. but the places where there is only room for a coupel stripes go the same direction.

2. It don't make no difference...

Do you get paid extra to do this? NO!

Don't worry about it, cut it the fastest way possable, that's what striping is all about.

3. I try to mow the same orientation each trip. Then alternate the direction on the next trip. However, in some sections that are long-narrow strips, its just not practical to cut across the strip. Mowing back and forth making stripes is the fastest way to mow open sections, but special patterns are mo-money.

4. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

ditto

5. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Pretty much what Bluesteel said... some lawns don't even stripe well enough to bother trying. Usually those are the ones that are too small to stripe or the customer doesn't care anyway... the larger ones people tend to appreciate them more, they are easier to do and look better when done and the stripes just show up better on them....

This 92 y.o. woman's yard doesn't stripe. You can see the grass layed over alittle but not really qualifying for stripes. She saw the grass laid over alittle and was upset that the mower didn't cut the grass. I said "no, the mower cut the grass then the tires laid it over. It will pop up in a day or so" and she was releived LOL. Don't think she's ever had anything other than a push mower used on her lawn before. Like I said it wasnt' stripes just pushed over alittle.

apr18278.jpg

6. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

I alternate directions every time I mow, including cross-cutting. With today’s heavy WB‘s, if you keep cutting the same direction and path you’ll end up with ruts in the lawn, especially with those 1,000 lb riders. However, those that don’t care about the finished job will only cut the fastest way possible. It all depends on the type of professionalism you want to portray………
    Pete

7. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Great minds think alike. I see soo many lco's around here mow the exact same direction every single time they mow a property. It's very obvious that it is rutted and also just gets so boring seeing single direction stripes week after week , year after year in the same direction. I usually run a 2 or 3 direction rotation on my properties, depending on how well they hold multi direction stripes.

8. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah,
    FWIW, as "LGF" aludes to, when I price a lawn "I" add about 5 minutes to it "assumming" I will lose time when I cut different directions.
    Pete

9. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Yup! Me too... I guess the only thing we disagree about is Hustler w/b's and castering sulkies :D Do you have any pics of your lawns? I would like to see how your Super Hustler cuts at "9mph"

10. Define please. Both FWIW and what I alude to.