1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Direction while trimming/edging?

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by EagleGrounds, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Forewards

79 vote(s)
  2. Backwards

93 vote(s)
  1. shadrach

shadrach LawnSite Member
    from indiana

backwards to edge - forward to trim but using curved shaft trimmers
  2. FoghornLeghorn

FoghornLeghorn LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

backwards, always walking to the right with the trimmer trimming to my left. ultimate control of cut and keeps you out of the way of the debris.
  3. bobcat48

bobcat48 LawnSite Gold Member

Backwards for edging and trimming.

DIXIECONTRACTING LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Forward and counter clockwise so that the grass gets thrown clear of beds.
  5. Kennedy Landscaping

Kennedy Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I usually find that I walk backwards 98 percent of the time. Just a habit that I don't even really think about.
  6. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Counterclockwise, with trimmer head trailing behind me on my right as I walk forwards. I can all but run when I trim this way.
  7. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i always walk forwards trimming and edging. i think 95% of people hold the trimmer the wrong way so they are forced to walk backwards or walk forwards while throwing debris at themselves. hold the trigger in your left hand and the handle in your right hand then you can walk forwards to the left while you trim while throwing debris away from you. if you hold it the other way and walk to the right forwards you will be throwing the debris into yourself and if you walk backwards to the left you are still throwing debris into yourself.
  8. LawnMan19

LawnMan19 LawnSite Gold Member

Forwards for general trimming - backwards for cutting a clean edge like along a flower bed.
  9. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I'm fairly ambidexterous (sp?) with the trimmer. One thing the poll fails to ask is "left to right" or "right to left" Because forwards or backwards is only half of the options.

For general weekly trimming I always trim left to right, throttle in my right hand, left hand on the handle, walking forwards. Yes, this is technically incorrect, in theory... BUT, try holding the trimmer the other way, left hand on the throttle, holding it to your other side. Notice something HOT right against your hip? Yes, that's the muffler and exhaust. While they claim they were intended to be ran this way the engine is set up backwards to allow this to be done comfortably.

I'll walk backwards, basically pulling the trimmer head as I walk to knock down heavier growth. It's actually faster and when the grass is tall and thick this lets the trimmer kick out the grass into the lawn. Edging I just go whatever way works for the paticular area.

What it boils down to is there's no right or wrong IMO, do whatever gives you the quality of results you are looking for. I've tried holding the trimmer the other way and I have poor control of it and it's uncomfortable on my back.
  10. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

when i hold it the exhaust is nowhere near my leg...the trigger part that my left hand is on is the part that's close to my leg. the exhaust is a foot or so farther back and it shoots out the back not towards me. maybe it depends on the type of trimmer you have.