Direction while trimming/edging?

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by EagleGrounds, Jul 9, 2009.

?

Direction

1. Forewards

79 vote(s)
    45.9%
  2. Backwards

93 vote(s)
    54.1%
  1. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Depends on your height and length of arms too. I'm 6'4" and the trimmer engine is just under my elbow, actually my arm is usually touching the top of the trimmer and the engine is just inches from my side.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. RGM

RGM LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Baltimore Md

forwards when trimming backwards when edging

3. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

maybe height has alot to do with it. i'm only 5'9" :laugh:

4. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Now maybe it's because I have no interest in wearing shorts while I work, but I find it amusing that lawn care guys are concerned about the trimmer throwing grass clippings on their shins. I go home dirty and sweaty every day, so why the crap would I care if grass clippings get on my pants? :laugh: But, hey, to each their own...

5. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i wear pants too but i still like to stay clean as possible :laugh:

6. tyler_mott85

tyler_mott85 LawnSite Senior Member

Always forward. Mainly for safety reasons. I've worked with too many guys that have tripped and hurt themselves on downspouts, roots, etc.

I'm able to walk forward with the trigger in my right hand and still keep the clippings out of the beds. The silly trimmer heads turn 360 degrees so therefore you can make the clippings go anyway you want. It's called being a pro. :)

7. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

what is a silly head you silly head? :laugh:

8. TheChiefsLawnCare

TheChiefsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

i do both. i mostly go backwards for edging and do both when trimming. usually ill go forward along fences and stuff. only proab with that, is that the trimmings will get lined up close to the fence instead of going backwards where the trimmings will get thrown into the uncut grass if you trim before cut which is the right way lol

9. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

i trim mostly walking backwards to keep the clippings out of the mulch beds. sometimes i can manage to trim forward and still keep the clippings in the turf but it usually puts the trimmer at an aqward angle for me since i'm right handed.

they need to make the trimmer head turn the other direction.

10. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Curved shaft trimmers spin the line/head the other direction, fwiw.

I wish I was more ambidextrous - as using my left hand on the trigger would facilitate several scenarios. It's akin to trying to use left-handed scissors right-handed. 'It just don't feel right.' :laugh: