1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dirt Bag(s) took me today - Right out from under my Nose

Discussion in 'Stolen Equipment' started by milsaps118, Sep 6, 2010.

1. gasracer

gasracer LawnSite Bronze Member

You can only do so much to protect yourself(locks,record all serial numbers,pictures). I have locks on everything on my trailer.Even log chains through the big stuff to the trailer.
    I don't like being out of site of my trailer when I am working solo.
  2. sdk1959

sdk1959 LawnSite Senior Member

Unless a thief is casing you every week you mow and knows exactly what you have a locked box truck or locked enclosed trailor is your best protection. Won't get ripped off by any "opportunity thieves".

Out of site, out of mind. Pays to lock it when you are in the backyard.
  3. brianslawncare

brianslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

does the property you were mowing have security cameras? hope they do. a couple years back i didnt have racks and my trimmers were laying in the bed of the trailer i was mowing when i came around the front the 15yrs old little bast??? ran he didnt get them but if i was one minute longer they would have been gone. good luck hope you catch them,check local pawn shops they probley needed drug money!
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I am only saying this because you're not the first it's happened to...

It works only as well as the Lco's who happen to have said Serial # on record,
    no offense, because unfortunately most of us don't so the fault this time falls on us,
    as does the responsibility.

It would be a wise idea, anytime a piece of equipment is purchased, to write down the serial number and keep that on record.
  5. gasracer

gasracer LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are smart you have it recorded with your insurance company

ADVANTEC LAWNS LawnSite Member

UHH !!! Not Very Bright!!!! :hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead: Next Time Close your Sh*t up!!!!