Dirt clods in seed bed!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Let it Grow, Aug 12, 2003.

1. Let it Grow

Let it Grow LawnSite Senior Member

I'm getting a 10,000 sq. ft. lot prepped for seeding, and there are lots of super hard dirt clods in it...I'm just wondering if you guys have any ideas of a good way to deal with them. We can't run any machinery in the lot because the sprinklers are already installed, which also means we have to hand rake. Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Dr. Mow

Dr. Mow LawnSite Member

flag your sprinklers, then you can disc and rake as much as you need. just dont run over the falgs.

3. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

try a hand roller or drag mat- flag the heads

4. Let it Grow

Let it Grow LawnSite Senior Member

The only problem is that they are too close together on some sections of the lawn for any machinery. They are flagged right now...I'm also doing a retaining wall for the customer, so I made sure they were all marked.
    I thought of maybe trying a roller, but these dirt clods are super hard...I tried crushing them with a hand tamper and it only broke some of them.
    There is only one part of the lawn that I could use any kind of machinery on.
    If nothing else I can always use them for fill behind the retaining wall!

5. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

get out a 9 iron and have at it

6. Dstosh

Dstosh LawnSite Senior Member

Take them out unless there is large amounts of them

7. HazellLawnCare

HazellLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I would run my Bluebird power rake over the lawn. I've done this a few times before it works pretty good. Just be prepared for dust and make sure your windows on your truck are up.

8. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

A good liqiud Gypsum with a high calcium content could be the go.
    Even if it's not clay this will help.