dirt in the fuel tanks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by smoothbore2004, Mar 22, 2005.

1. smoothbore2004

smoothbore2004 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Hey guys i have a scag tiger cub and in the past 2 years i have had to take it to the shop and get the service done on it due to poor engine performance. The dealer keeps telling me i am getting dirt in the fuel tank when i fuel up its falling off the tank caps. I have a hard time believing that there is this much dirt falling off the caps since they are hardly dirty at all.
    I do all my filling myself straight off the gas pumps so that rules out dirt in my fuel cans. And i do have a heavy duty canister air filter on it so its not coming through the air filter. Any ideas on how this is happing or have any of you others had this problem with your mower. Any info would be very helpful.
    Thanks guys
    George

2. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

Do you keep good fuel filters on it. Do you ever change them? You should be able to see through them and tell if the have dirt in them.

3. KurtW

KurtW LawnSite Member

I also have a Scag Cub. It has 79 hours on it, always fill from cans. Never had a fuel problem or any other problem. There is an inline fuel filter, its not even dirty. Exactly what are the problems you are having? Kurt

4. launboy

launboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

if you do big leaf clean ups and you use the cub to suck them up, when you keep crunching up those leaves the dirt in the air gets all up in there and clogs. my dealer tells me you gotta keep those air filters clean,after each house. also check those fuel filters. all the hoses keep clean, that dirt and crunched up leaves gets in thhose air tube and eventually goes into the carb. causeing dirty fuel systems.

5. smoothbore2004

from Indiana

yeah everytime i get the service done on it they change out the fuel filter so i know they are clean. as for the leaf cleanups yeah we do use the cub with a bagger so you are probalby on to something there. I had one guy tell me that he installed clear fuel lines and when he see's dirt in the fuel line he disconnects it and lets it flow till its clear again. I might try that.
    This last time it went in i was having trouble going up hills, I noticed it runs fine on straight land but the slightest hill its bogs down. They say its from the engine not getting enough fuel due to dirt. well i got it back and it does run pretty good but still have to try it on a hill. till next time take care

6. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a similar problem with my tiger cub last season. I wasnt losing power but the idle was going crazy it would dip real low and shoot back up.Took it to the dealer they said dirty carb/fuel lines cleaned it all up and it worked great.About a month later it started doing the same thing again(this is a brand new mower at the time)Cleaned it out again and it was fine. the rest of the season it diddnt happen again, im keeping my fingers crossed.

7. launboy

launboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

ya new and old machines keep all those hoses, lines, and filters clean and you should be fine. Especially after dirty yards and leaves. those engines just suck it right in.

8. 430 boy

430 boy LawnSite Member

I would one of three thing. one do you uses metal or plastic fuel can? If you uses metal cans especially older metal can they might be starting to rust. You can fix this by taking the can down to raditor shop and them boil out the tank and coat the inside with plactic coating. The some go for the tank on the machine. If the tank in the machine is plastic as well as the can. You can wash them out at home with water. The importance thing is to make damn sure all the
    water get out if the tank or you will have more problem then poor performance. The last thing but highly underlikily is the fuel from the station is bad.

9. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

If the mower has set all winter and the fuel isnt treated, the fuel will evaporate and leave Benzine, looks like rust or fine dirt, could that be what it actually is??Im thinking if you are sucking enuff dirt through the air filter to stop up the carb then alot of dirt has gotten in the engine and that engine would be trash by now

wayne

10. smoothbore2004

from Indiana

thanks guys for all the input. As for the fuel tanks i dont use them to fill up the mowers cause i am able to fill off the pump. I think i might just have to put the clear hoses on and keep an eye on it and then when its dirty i will just have to run the fuel out till its clear again
    thanks again
    George