1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dirt Install

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by MartinsMowing, Mar 26, 2007.

1. MartinsMowing

MartinsMowing LawnSite Member

Hey guys i need some help here on pricing. I got a lady that wants 1 and 1/2 yard delivered and installed and leveled in a sunken area. What would you charge to move it(wheelbarrow) to the spot and level per square foot. also what should i charge per mile to deliver? i dont know how much my dirt my f150 will hold, prry have to make 2 trips? i dunno, suggestions!

2. beano

beano LawnSite Senior Member

Your truck will hold 1.5 yds in the bed but it might not with the weight. I dont know, it would be pretty close. All i usually do is 1 yd with my half ton. A yd around here is $20 so 1.5 = $30. I would probaly charge around $90-100. If all your doing is putting it in a hole and smoothing it out, it shouldnt take any more than half an hour to take it out and spread. Dirt goes down pretty quick.
  3. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

its tough in that your truck wont hold the weight(legally) so you will most likely need to take 2 trips and its tuff to justify charging for 2 load because your truck cant handle it. i just charged $50 for hauling topsoil (1 load). now you talk about using a wheel barrel prior to spreading. my fee would go up for that too. id also try to make a few bucks off the dirt, be it $25 or $30/yard. depending on how far you have to move it in a wheel barrel and up hill or not at least $100 in labor.
  4. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

id charge 150-200 bucks for delivery and labor to install
  5. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

For small amounts like that, you really do have to be in the $150-$200 range, especially since you may have more than one trip.
  6. MartinsMowing

well the sticker on the door jamb says 3800 pounds, i dont know if that means much, i have no idea what that would weigh. anyway i went and measured, theres one spot 10 by 11(110 Sq ft) the deepest would be about 4 inches, mostly about 2 inches. The other spot is 15 by 15(225 Sq ft) 3 inches deep at most, and for the most part 2 inches again. it would be probobly 5 miles to the garden place. so if that narrows it down...thanks for the help guys, i like those price ranges..im broke lol
  7. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

Why not pay to have it delivered and just add the cost into estimate
  8. MartinsMowing

well then i wouldent make any money off of the delivery
  9. bishoplandscape

bishoplandscape LawnSite Member

Between fuel time and milage your not really coming out on top anyway withe the hauling.
  10. MartinsMowing

its not to bad, i dont think im not coming out on top, the place where im getting the dirt is 1.5 miles away so 3 miles loaded, 3 miles unloaded, thats like half a gallon of gas 2.50 / 2 = 1.25. Im charging 25 to deliver, so im making 23.75 for driving around a little. Not to bad im my opinion.