Dirt Relocation / Sod Job

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by grasseaters, May 13, 2008.

1. grasseaters

grasseaters LawnSite Member

I am doing a job for a customer that involves the following tasks:

remove sand base from above ground pool (which has been removed already) area 28x30 SQ FT

relocate 2 1/2 yards of dirt from random dirt hill (now covered with sod) in corner of yard and use it to level out old pool hole.

Apply top soil over relocated dirt to complete leveling of the area

Sod area 28x 30 SQ FT

Sod area 10 X 10 (from old dirt hill location)

I will be using a bobcat 463 Skid Steer do to the size of the gate opening for the relocation portion of the job. I will also be using a sod cutter to remove the sod from the hill and to straiten out the edges.

I think the job will take about 5 hours

Materails $350
    Labor $355
    Equipment $225
    Delivery and removal of sand $70

Total $1000

Am I looking at this right? Do you think the time is not enough or to much? It will be a total of two people doing the job. Please let me know thanks. Mike
  2. grasseaters

How much damage will the skid do to the current grass? Can I use plywood to make sure the current grass does not get destroyed?
  3. brownings

brownings LawnSite Member

I wouldn't use the bobcat personally. You could crush the irrigation. A bobcat is more mess than use on a small job. Plan on being there all day. How much are you paying for sod? What kind? How about delivery cost and fuel? The sod cutting is a slow process and then you gotta move the debris.

I'd charge more. Like, 1750.
  4. LawnInOrder

LawnInOrder LawnSite Senior Member

i deff agree with browning's idea on teh price. it will take longer then 5 hours even with a bobcat.you have about 1000 square feet to sod @ 1 a square foot(thats what i used to charge, now i charge 1.25) thats gunna cost $1000, plus bobcat rental, extra dirt need, dump, labor. At least $2000 for the job. however you can use a bobcat especially since its gunna be a small one and you won;t have to worry about damaging the irrigation.
  5. grasseaters

There is no irrigation on the property. so I dont have to worry about that.
  6. grasseaters

Thanks for the advice I will rework the numbers.