1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dirt under crawl space

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by The Yard Barber Inc., Nov 25, 2011.

1. The Yard Barber Inc.

The Yard Barber Inc. LawnSite Member

Ok guys, I need your help. I have about a 1200 square foot house that is on a crawl space and I need to get the dirt under the house up about 8 inches. when it rains, water gets under the house and it molds.

So... how would you guys go about getting the sand under the house?

I thought about filling buckets up with sand but im not so sure about dragging buckets around under the house.

any suggestions?
  2. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Find someone with a pumptruck.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. Turfinator1

Turfinator1 LawnSite Member

I have the same problem with water getting into the crawl space under the footings. You are right once the water is in the dirt under the house it smells. The thing that I realized is that you are gonna have to figure out how to get the water from going into the crawl space. My case I will be adding gutters to stop the water from running down the block foundation. It also doesn't help that the soil I'm in is clay. You may have to look into sloping the ground away from the house or installing a sock drain. But as for getting dirt under the house I had friends and family over to help fill and pass buckets. You also may try using wagons.
  4. Andy31

Andy31 LawnSite Member

Your looking at 30 yards, I second KrayzKajun on the pumptruck. I suppose if that is not an option you could always use a bobcat and dump bucket loads surrounding your house and try and flick as much under with bobcat and have some unlucky SOBs under the house with landscape rakes. I how much space do you have after the 8" of fill? Also don't forget 30 yards would be 1,215 FULL 5 gal buckets...
  5. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

First have you addressed the drainage on outside of the house? Drain tile to carry water away from the house, grading away from the house?

I am doubting that bringing in sand will fix your drainage issues. would be better off with drain tile and sump pits to pump out the water. Instead of sand use liner covered with pea gravel. You first want to limit the water coming into the house and getting rid of the water. With sand the water would want to percolate, it woudn't solve any of the problems.
  6. StihlMechanic

StihlMechanic LawnSite Bronze Member

sump pump?
  7. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

With a subequent sump pit and drainage system into the pit.
  8. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with those he say you need to address the drainage issue. I think you need to prevent water from getting under there rather than filling it. Usually crawl spaces need to remain accessible for access to mechanicals. It's a big enough pain to work in crawl spaces...I can't imagine wanting to fill it in to make it more confined.
  9. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

Water diversion to prevent water from getting under the house.

Then drainage system to remove water that gets under the house.

Putting in sand will do nothing.
  10. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto on all comments with respect to fixing the drainage problem and/or whatever is causing water to collect under the house.