Dirtman's Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Dirtman2007, Nov 17, 2008.

1. jmf

jmf LawnSite Member
    from ny

Actually, it looks like Dirtman has found his niche. He boldly goes where others dare not tread. Maybe he should think about changing his card to Mudman, have excavator will travel.

jmf

2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

The main reason I found the pictures is to show the high walker undercarriage something that they probably have no experience with. Here in B.C. its standard issue with most machines the loggers buy.

For what Dirtman is doing the heavier undercarriage would help. A conventional machine with a undercarriage more designed for doing utility work or work that doesn't involve extreme conditions. I don't think any excavator manufacture dreams of a machine being sunk up to and pass the house works in soupy sticky snot.

Another thing to keep in mind a forestry built Deere/Hitachi is specifically made for western canadian forestry. Finnings used to build forestry equipment it was heavy built but Caterpiller stopped that.

3. Dirtman2007

Dirtman2007 LawnSite Platinum Member

Hey times are tough, Can't be turning jobs down. Everything is possible... you just have to figure out how!

4. Gravel Rat

It is interesting to see the different working conditions. Your dealing with mud and soupy conditions where I live your cliff hanging with a excavator where your hanging on by the skin of your teeth.

5. Dirtman2007

Alright Now I've had this changed over to my official picture posting thread As we no longer have anymore stuck equipment to deal with (hopefully) :rolleyes:

Here's my first time pushing over trees with our dozer since we bought it over the summer.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=pcQSPTRaGIA

I would like to get some sweeps for it so I don't tear off the stack when clearing, anyone know how much a set would cost?

6. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

How big were those tree's? Look like they went over pretty easy..

7. Dirtman2007

The big ones were probably 8- 10" trees

8. Gravel Rat

You were taking a chance you should have sweeps on the machine and a full cab guard over top.

I don't know if Komatsu makes any cab guards for machines that size.

9. bobcatexc

bobcatexc LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

I don't know if that video was in fast foward motion, but I'd watch slammin them trees that fast. If you've got to clear much further into them woods, your going to have a big wadded up mess. I usually start on one end and work at a angle pushing them out into the open so I can start wind row them up.

10. Dirtman2007

Yeah it was double speed, I was taken it pretty easy. Your right, I was just screwing around seeing how well it pushed trees over, I made a horrible wadded up mess that I had to clean up later. I also had the excavator onsite which I used to do all the clearing with, It's much quicker and you don't get all the dirt in your piles. plus I can stack it up 15- 20' high.