1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Dirtman's Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Dirtman2007, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Dirtman2007

Dirtman2007 LawnSite Platinum Member

Nope not like that here, I think they want the shovel boys to make atleast 10 a hour but thats about it. I wish it was that high.

2. jmacd

jmacd LawnSite Member

It basically is what the unions set up for pay rates. Even if you don't hire union employees you still have to pay the union rate on all public works. The rates start at $35 for a flag, shovel guy.

The problem with this is the employees feel cheated when they go back to private work pay at $15 to $20 when the public work has stopped.

3. Cornell

Cornell LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

In MN its called prevailing wage. It's basically what unions get paid. I like prevailing wage jobs but it's ridiculous to me every time I see a city job and the flag holder is getting paid 30/hr to do that and the only skill he has that is more complicated than that is his ability to pick his nose. As an operator I make 35/hr on prevailing wage jobs but I don't work many of them. Our modular block crew does more often and I give them sh!t all the time for it asking if they got their 1 hour required nap and 15 minute breaks.

4. Bleed Green

Bleed Green LawnSite Bronze Member

hey there's nothing wrong with nap o'clock, otherwise known as lunchtime.

5. Cornell

from MN

I guess that's the difference of having family owned company. If I'm sitting around I'm not making any money. :laugh: Someone that just works for us may not care but I do.

6. jmacd

jmacd LawnSite Member

Not only is the rate high $45 per hour but hour lunch and 15 minute smoke stops is a little ridiculous.

I always try to have the help understand it from the owners perspective, like how would they like it if it was their money. Some do, some don't.

Keep the ones that do.

7. Dirtman2007

Dirtman2007 LawnSite Platinum Member

one machines leaves, two more come.

another day, another dollar

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Cornell

from MN

Gosh that Liebherr is cool. There's a sewer comapny around here that swapped Cat for Liebherr excavators, one of them is 26x,xxx pounds.

9. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

thanks for the background chris!

10. ioilyouin

ioilyouin LawnSite Senior Member

A Bomag 120, something I can relate to.