Dirtman's Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Dirtman2007, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Dirtman2007

Dirtman2007 LawnSite Platinum Member

I agree with everything you said but when your 2nd from the top all you can do is make suggestions. Clearly I dont know what Im talking about all the time so I just put the sh*t in the ground like told to.

thats why I do things my way when I work alone:weightlifter:

finished up the grouting of the pipes and backfilling today. seed and straw tomorrow

piles getting smaller

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

not very pretty but it wont leak

[​IMG]

grading! I like grading

[​IMG]

what pond?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

lil more dirt by the road and its done

[​IMG]

2. jmacd

jmacd LawnSite Member

Well, you have to do what the boss says thats for sure. If we fill the structure up like that with concrete they would make me take it out. My work is mostly overseen by architect.

I agree with you that it isn't going to move anytime soon.

The thing you have going for you is the ground doesn't freeze as deep were you are, our freeze depth is 48".

Did you mortar the rim on?

3. Dirtman2007

I poured concrete in the bottom of the boxes to get it level with the bottom of the pipes, then use a non shrink grout on the inside to make it look good.

conseal then the lid, boss's exact words were " its not going to leap off" so nope the metal grate it just sitting on here.:hammerhead:

4. jmacd

jmacd LawnSite Member

Leaving some room in the bottom of the structure is recommended because it catches the fines, silt or anything else that go into the structure instead of sending it down the pipe.

The rim should be mortared on because if it does move than the structure is open. It wont take much to move that rim if it gets hit buy a tractor of even some one brush hogging the field etc.

The extra time it takes is about 1/2 hour to do it.

The hydraulic cement was a good idea, that stuff gets hot and drys fast huh.

Here is one we did.
    utica 13.jpg

utica 13.jpg

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  5. jmacd

jmacd LawnSite Member

Here are a few more.

The bottom is deep to catch silt, stone etc from running down the pipe.
    DSCN0078 (Large).jpg

DSCN0071 (Medium) (Large).jpg
    Here you can see that the structure had the inverts in from the manufacturer.
    DSCN0024.jpg

DSCN0078 (Large).jpg

DSCN0071 (Medium) (Large).jpg

DSCN0024.jpg

6. Dirtman2007

time to load some pics i've been slacking

graded 150 tons of stone around a new building

[​IMG]

next project placing 20 tons of boulders around the end of a 6' tall pipe that has washed out and erroded
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

then 400' of pond damn stablization

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

pumping flowable fill under the hollow pipe and into the rock to hold it in place

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

oh lookie what someone left on the side of the road for me!

[​IMG]

Digging out 2500 yards out of this pond for irrigation. owner didnt want to drain the pond as they wanted to try and keep the only water they had.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

gonna need a bath!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. bobcatexc

bobcatexc LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

Chris, nice work on the 400' pond stabilization, just curious did you have to dig out mud to key the riprap 12 to 18" in or did you just lay fabric on the mud and start slinging riprap? Also I assume you dumped the riprap on top of the dam and slung it down, did a nice job cleaning all the fines and limestone can't really see anything unless your hiding it with straw.:laugh:

8. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

Good to see the ol' 5 ton is working good for you. All you need is a job site radio blairing some CCR on it and your set.

9. Dirtman2007

thanks yeah we took the minis and knotched it out so that the rock would sit level with the top of the bank. I just forgot to take a picture. then I hauled it all down there with the skid steer and drove down the edge and dumped it onto the fabric to keep it from making such a mess on the bank. did a few backwards wheelies tho :weightlifter:

10. Dirtman2007

and some cold AC!