Dirtman's Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Dirtman2007, Nov 17, 2008.

1. slopecarver

slopecarver LawnSite Member

That was a fun 523 pages viewed in a day (I mostly look at pictures), keep it up!

2. Dirtman2007

Dirtman2007 LawnSite Platinum Member

started a project today that was worth taking some pics of as I hardly ever build rock walls, but this site had so many to get rid of.

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

3. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

Wow, you did all that in one day? Cool!

4. Cornell

Cornell LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

Damn good job Chris!

I like the steps too. The wall along the steps is the toughest part I would say esp with those long ones.

You use any fabric behind the rocks? that helps as the years go by with erosion and keeping weeds from growing in the cracks. Edit: nvm I see the roll of fabric now.

Looks like 200-250 sq ft wall to me, I'm impressed.

You build it from the top?

5. Dirtman2007

yes I used fabric behind the rocks, I had to build it all from the top as the septic field is about 4' infront of the wall. my helper telling me where to nudge them to make it tight. funny how the back can look so perfect then the front look like crap! lol Im only half done with the steps and the wall, ive got about another 50' past the steps to go and then a few terraces to do on the sides of the house.

6. Dirtman2007

Almost finished everything today, little more grading and cleanup tomorrow

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

7. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Very impressive Chris.

How's the ole backhoe treating you? I've got the opportunity to pick up one pretty cheap. Thought it would make a nice winter project.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Dirtman2007

thanks. its been very handy on the farm for any project. just always nice to have something to lift things and move heavy stuff around. god it was such a pain before! Now that im done with my little pond it does not get used everyday but its paid for so it doesn't hurt if it sits. Ive got a few things that need to be tinkered with on it as far as maintenance but its been a solid investment for what I have in it. Handy machine not the best for any job but it worked with the budget I had.

9. Bleed Green

Bleed Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Walls look great Chris. Only thing I don't like about the steps is I would have rather used single large pieces to make the "stair treads" instead of the occasions where you used multiple pieces. It seems there is less of a chance of it being a "tripper" with one large piece. I also understand though that you are restricted to using what you find in the ground and as a landscaper I am ordering from a distributor and can be a little more picky LOL. Anyway, nice work as always keep the pics coming!

You're making me wanna build some boulder walls. Between what you're posting and what Cornell posts.

10. Dirtman2007

thanks, yeah I used the rocks I had for the steps. it was hard to find 6-7' long flat rocks. they guy said he was going to mortar all the joints to make them smooth.