"Dirty" trimmers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 2k1yzfr1, Jun 26, 2008.

1. 2k1yzfr1

2k1yzfr1 LawnSite Senior Member

Is it just me or do all the new "clean emission" trimmers down on power? I have a 4 year old Redmax 2600 that used to throw 12 inches of string without a hiccup. Last year we purchased 2 new Redmax 2601's and if the string gets past the guard length it starts shaking and falls on it's face. Today one of the 2601 finally let go after having the wristpin knock for the past few weeks, and I cranked up an old Echo 260 and was amazed with the power it had. Are all the new "clean" trimmers having to be leaned out so much they aren't making the power they used to? :confused:
  2. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

How much have you used your 2601 trimmer? I have the 2600 and 2601 trimmers and they seem to be pretty equal in power. It did seem that the 2601 took a little while to "break in" then it picked up some power. They run pretty much neck and neck now.
  3. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Its a night and day difference. You can certainly tel which unit is older. The new units have really been leaned out quite a lot. The older units were a lot nicer and with adjustable carbs on them, a quick 3 minute adjustment and you were back in business. Those good ol days are gone..
  4. redmax fan

redmax fan LawnSite Bronze Member

all the new strato charged redmax weve been running past 3 years SUCK compared to the old ones , i was running bc225 units for like 3 / 4 years and they were GREAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! light + powerful !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

now these new ones have less power - way more maintenance - a knock or miss in them , theyve really got me bummed out . but one very good improvement ive found is if you take the screen out of the exhaust opening in muffler , this allows it to get to higher rpm's and last longer before needing service .

who ever in government put these emission laws on this light equipment is an idiot thats costing hundreds of thousands of people mega problems , and probably besides all the extra work its costing people its also worse on the enviroment because of all the extra driving around people have to do to get the peices of junk fixed . plus they run so lame many times being under powered you have to run them way longer and thusly burn more gas to get the job done . the governments stupidity at this matches a whole bunch more of their stupidity at other things and its time for a

TOTAL HOUSE CLEANING :gunsfirin:gunsfirin:gunsfirin:gunsfirin

5. 2k1yzfr1

2k1yzfr1 LawnSite Senior Member

The 2601's probably have about a season on them and we were running them full time maintaining 85-90 yards a week. Can adjustable carbs be put on these new trimmers to richen them up any?

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

Ya I hate the new "clean" trimmers. I have 2 good ole Stihl FS-250R's and run the living daylights out of them. They are great trimmers. It seams when they come out with new clean trimmers its just a restricted version of the old one.
  7. greenred

greenred LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

You guys should really watch Al Gore's movie - then you would understand the sacrifices you must make to save mother earth.

Now excuse me while I go nibble on my organic free trade granola and read some Noam Chomsky

Like dont be troglodytes and stuff man.
  8. S L C

S L C LawnSite Senior Member

LMAO :clapping::clapping::cry:
  9. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

has anyone ever taken one of the new trimmers and put on one of the old style adjustable carbs on it?
  10. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Al Gore is full of ****, as is his movie. I watched it on my front lawn, now the grass is greener there.

I don't see what the big deal is, this is why our tax dollars fund NASA. I used to watch a lot of Star Trek, and one thing I have learned is that there are a LOT of class M planets out there, many with intergalactic space hotties, just waiting for earth men.