1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dirty Water

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by longslawn, Aug 27, 2003.

1. longslawn

longslawn LawnSite Member

Have a customer who pumps out of a stream. There is heavy algea that is clogging the pipe and head screens.
    Does anyone know of a solution? I'm looking for a self cleaning disk filter or something.

2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

You may want to try installing a "wye" strainer to keep the algae from the heads, although if it is a heavy infestation, you would probably be cleaning it out daily. Is there a screen at the foot or check valve? If not, install one. You may also have to put a strainer, similiar to the ones used on trash pumps, over the screen on the check valve. If that doesn't work, you'll need to install a screen fence about 4' x 4' to keep the algae from getting to the pump intake. You may have to try a combination of all the things I mentioned to achieve your desired results. Good luck!
  3. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Here is a link to such products online.
  4. jasond

jasond LawnSite Member

I use a BANJO filter, which is ABS plastic, threaded at both ends, and has a filter that keeps debris out. The filter can be changed very easily, and the screen size can be changed as well. I purchased mine from Agri-Supply in Garner, NC. They have many different sizes/types available.
  5. longslawn

longslawn LawnSite Member

I have a filter on the suction side, and a screen on the check valve in the water that screens some of the trash but want to install something that cleans better and is self cleaning if possible. this stream has heavy algea.