Dis-advantages to belt-drives

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Port City Lawncare, Dec 5, 2003.

1. Port City Lawncare

Port City Lawncare LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

I found a deal on a Bunton 48 close-out that sounds to good to be true. They're asking 2600 w/sulkie. Before I buy this machine, could someone present me with a few things to be careful of. Maint. costs down the road, ect. ???

2. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

No true reverse. Belts will slip when they get wet. Can't zero turn.

3. Port City Lawncare

from Alabama

It's been so long since I used one that I forgot about the no-z turn. The lack of straight lines would drive me nuts.

4. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Well,

belts should last you 600 hrs+
    tranny should last about forever, and even when it goes its only $300 to replace
    spindles are no big deal
    engine has at least 2000hrs in it
    filters, oil, and greas are a given

so over 2000 hrs, you are looking at replacing belts 3 times as your only real high dolar item. Then, after you replace your engine, you will get another few thousand hours out of it. When second engine dies, replace again and repeat cycle. Cant really kil these machines, IMO.

5. Port City Lawncare

from Alabama

Just to clarify, the machine is new, straight off of the floor. That's why I think it's good deal. Ultimately, if it's un-breakable, that's best for someone other than myself operating it down the line.

6. BigEd

BigEd LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

Price sound ok,but its not to good to believe.You will be able to get most 48 inch belt drive walkbehinds for that price with sulky. Most brands 48s are right around 2400 plus like 200 for the sulky. If I was you I would shop other brands but if bunton is your brand of choice go for it. You can get a toro,lesco ,bobcat all around the same amount.

7. Lawn Specialties

Lawn Specialties LawnSite Member

I'm not sure what you guys meen when you say no true reverse with a belt drive. I have a 44" Toro t-bar that will spin the tires in reverse. As far as belt slippage, the only time I've had trouble I was driving it through standing water.I change my traction belts every other year out of principal. I went through a tranny after the fifth season. I can't imagine anything being cheaper or easier to maintain given the use it gets.

8. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

In the WB world, all I know is Scag, Bunton and of course, eXmark, your price on that 48" Bunton is okay cause you also can get eXmark Metro with 15 twin kawi and sulky for about same amount.
    As far as wetness goes, if it rains on you for an hour and your mower is exposed, yes, you will slip and mower doesn 't even run besides lot of noise coming from pulleys. Other than that, no problem, the key is to keep it covered when raining hard.
    As someone already explained, the machine is truly almost impossible to kill, it is true based on my 36" eXmark experience, but make sure you keep your blades "SHARP" all time so your cut will be estate look.
    It takes a few months constantly mowing/standing on sulky and you will know how to keep straight lines, and for the reverse thing, I don't reverse but just circle around back and it is faster and without effort especially standing on sulky. You have to use advantage that you have and not emphasize your weak ability.
    I know I love my eXmark/jungle wheels.

9. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

Don't understand the not "0"turn thing,do a donut in a parking lot and a beltdrive leaves the most perfect "0"you've ever seen.Mabey some pansies just dont have enough grip,my wife and daughter have a little trouble,but me and the boy can spin it on a dime.

10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Spinning a belt on a dime is different than a zero turn. Zero turn means it can turn within its self. One wheel turns backwards the other forward.

I like belt drives. Very low cost from a maintenance standpoint. I've got an exmark belt drive that I got new in 2000. Its never had any belts replaced. Its only cost me fuel, oil, filters.