dis colored lawns

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by agm, Aug 8, 2006.

1. agm

agm LawnSite Member
    from NM

I was wondering if any one knows what causes lawns to turn a yellowish color. The lawns arent dead but some parts are green and some are a yellowish.

2. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

iron deficiently? google yellow grass

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Very hot weather will do it, several lawns here (including my own) have that issue after last week's 3-4 day 100+ degree HOTTER-n-hell marathon lol.

Only cure for it I know is a farm / tripod / hi-rise $40+ sprinkler with a timer, hook up a hose and let it run full circle, full steam for at least 2 hours thou 3 doesn't hurt. As for the sprinkler, it doesn't have to sit on a tripod but make sure it's a quality one made of steel and not one of those cheapo plastic ones. All you got to do is do the entire lawn one time real good (at least 2 hours per location, don't be afraid of overlapping some sections, better than not watering some areas).

Do NOT water in the middle of the day!!! Oooooh it makes me grrrrr... Ok so what you do is best time is early morning (like 4am-7am) but if you can't get up that early, late afternoon / evening and into the night is fine. If it takes several days that is ok, it takes me 3 days to do mine in sections at a time, I get about 2-3 sections done every day.

Cost-wise, when I do my acre lot one time REAL good like that, 7-8 dollars on the water bill.

p.s.: Actually I don't care what kind of sprinkler is used so long you water the heck out of it, REAL good... Oh, and don't let the water run down the street into the sewer (so maybe a quality sprinkler may be called for after all, dunno).

4. Golf42

Golf42 LawnSite Member

Hopefully you were joking about watering into the night. That is absolutely the worst time to water.

5. GravyTrain

GravyTrain LawnSite Senior Member

This is my first post (although I've been reading about every post here for the last week) and I might be way off, but I've heard that that is a common misconception.

However, I've heard it both ways from "professionals" to amatuers with the most magnificent lawns. I wouldn't mind getting some more opinions on this matter.

6. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

If you are talking about the same stuff, my lawn has it BAD...there are places that are nice, dark green, then there are places that are bright yellow. It is very disappointing, lol. Jason (the guy that does our fertilizer, since I am not licensed) has tried all kinds of stuff on it. A good dose of 35-3-5 didnt even change it, so we know it is NOT from lack of nitrogen, lol.
    EDIT- there was also iron applied to the lawn, it helped in the green areas, but the yellow areas stayed yellow.

7. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

Whenever you water a lawn just try and make sure you leave enough time after words for the grass to dryout. Because it may cause fungus growth if not and left wet all night, but I water at night half of the time and knock on wood nothing bad yet. oh yeah and the sun is not that hot that it evaporates all the water your sprinkler puts out if you water during afternoon if it was we would melt. Ever put water on a hot pan and it evaporated well that pan was atleast 120 degrees so again it would kill us.

8. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

the problem is iron depletion . i will have to see a pic to help on the dose but here is a rule of thumb :

slight 2-4 quarts

medium 4-6 quarts

high 6-8 quarts

all are per acre and the water in with 1/2" to 3/4 " of water .you can see a difference in just a day or 3.