1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Disabling an exmark ztr

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by awm, Mar 7, 2001.

1. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

Any ideas on disabling n exmark ztr.
    Id like to make it as hard as possible to steal it
    Ive already taken some measures but am looking for something
    else.Email me privately if you like.Of course it needs to be something that can befixed quickly so Ican use it.
    We have had three stolen within 20 miles the last month
    also 12 atv s.

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Hook up an alarm system to it that goes off if the key is turned on. Also put on a kill switch that is hard to find, but easy for you to find. :)

BTW, I put in a subject in your thread topic other than what W you had.

3. Bassman

Bassman LawnSite Senior Member

1. Take the key out.

2. Disconnect one side of battery terminal.

3. Remove spark plug cable.

4. Shut off fuel valve.

5. Disconnect cable voltage regulator.

6. Big sign: "GUN CONTROL IS HITTING WHAT YOU ARE SHOOTING AT. OWNER HAS GUN AND IS A FIRM BELIEVER IN GUN CONTROL."

[Edited by Bassman on 03-08-2001 at 03:30 AM]

4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

Ive done some of that .the hidden kill switch
    is going in.ALSO THE SIGHN.The sad thing about it is I really will do what the sighn says.Ijust have a hard time
    with what these thieves are doing to everyday life.
    AND SO GOD FOGIVE ME,MABE HELL UNDERSTAND OR MAKE ME MISS
    OR SOMTHING.Thanks again

5. jason2

jason2 LawnSite Member

I've found that they would be pretty easy to steal. Last year I realized that I forgot the key for my Lazer 40 miles from home. A thin screwdriver easily fit in place of the key.

Just pull both plug wires off. Mine will start and run on one cylinder.

6. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

Just make sure you are adequately insured. Lower your deductible if you think you need to. But shooting someone for anything other than your life being threatened is a felony and you will serve time for it. I think we all like to fantasize about taking the law into our own hands and getting street justice, but get serious.

Why not have someone weld up a flange on or near one of your control sticks so you could put a padlock on the stick when it is in the open position? That would be easy to lock and unlock, and much smarter than the hog leg.

7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

Likes to mow,you re right I know that.As to the gun
    that would depend on the situation.Long years ago
    I use to call some of these type friends.
    I finally got tired of them bringing stolen bulldogs
    to my place etc told them to hit the wind.
    At that time they thought I was the know all about the dogs
    Of course they got mad and fighting a gang aint a fun thing.
    But the one thing I learned is you never ever letum get the advantage as they will do anything,anything.
    Its not the loss of property its living life with the cancer of that type hanging over us all the time.
    So yes the right situation I use a gun although
    I have other options.One thing for absolute do what
    ever is necessary to keep them from getting an advantage
    over you.
    As to letting insurance takecare of it .I kinda think that attitude is why they are so bold.My son thinks along your line of thought so I know and understand where you are coming.I appreciate your taking time to answer.

8. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

Put another kill switch on it somewhere. Remember all that someone has to do is lift the seat up and release the hydraulics and just push it, so it doesn't need to run to be stolen.

Maybe make some kind of lock to lock the two tires together with a pipe and some car boot type ends?? Just a thought..

9. MikeGA

MikeGA LawnSite Member

Install Lo-Jack, park in front yard over night, collect reward when crooks are caught next morning, Know who to shoot next time they are seen riding slowly down the road looking for something to steal.

another thing, if it has lo-jack on it (used mostly on vehicles) can it be considered Grand Theft Auto?

10. Mid Rivers

Mid Rivers LawnSite Member

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but when are they stealing them? Night, over the weekend? I have a 60in Lazer and really haven't thought about it being stolen. The kill switch sounds like a good idea.

Thanks for the heads up.