1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Disabling Safety Interlock System on exmark

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by foxviewlanwns, Jun 11, 2008.

1. foxviewlanwns

foxviewlanwns LawnSite Member

I have a 60" lazer z and I hate the safety system on it. Everytime you get off, you have to shut off the PTO. Is there any way to disable this?

2. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would hope that NO ONE on this site would be IRRESPONSIBLE(and become liable for your injuries) enough to give you information towards Disabling you SAFETY CIRCUIT on you equipment.
    I would think the minor inconvenience in shutting off your PTO to get off your mower would be easier then figuring out how to operate your mower with missing limbs after the mower removes them for you.:hammerhead:
  3. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

If you're the operator than unplug the seat switch and loop the circuit. If employees are using this machine maybe leave it connected. It only takes 5 mins. to hot wire. Don't tell'em where you heard this from. :)
  4. Partsangel

Partsangel LawnSite Member

( insert I Agree smiley here)
    But its perfectly normal to turn off your PTO then apply your safety brake and remove the obstacle in front of your mower then get back on your mower and preceded to mow again. If you need further info on lawsuits on this subject consult with MTD.

"I'm just saying"

5. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

I learned on a wb that safety interlocks are a good thing. A guy had a post & beam carport and he extended it out as an addition so he could park another car. The overhang at the eave was pretty low, maybe 5'9" or so. He showed it to me and said watch out for it. I was in a hurry, had a wide brimmed hat on, and you guessed it: turned the corner watching out for a planting bed on the other side of the mower, POW!!! I was knocked off the sulky by a 4 x 6 with a nice goose egg on the forehead to show for it. I had thought some about disabling it, but have had no further thoughts about trying it on any mower. I am really glad that mower quit when it did.
  6. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Not tring to be mean but no one here is going to tell anyone how to disable or bypass a safety circuit. First off no one here wants a lawsuit or at the least the guilt trip off some one getting hurt or killed.
    I have had custtomers get mad at me because I would not tell them how to bypass switches. That is one road I do not want to travel

I even know of a dealership that lost there dealership standing because they bypassed a safty switch for a "customer" on a unit and that customer turned out to be from the head office. It was a setup.
  7. xpnd

xpnd LawnSite Senior Member

I posted this elsewhere on a similar thread. Causing an injury with a machine that has disabled OPCs would be viewed as intentional and gross negligence on your part during litigation. The reason they are there is to shield the manufacture from liability. Removing them makes you the sole target.
  8. Hestian

Hestian LawnSite Member

I came across this thread during my search for help in trying to get my safety switches activated. I have an Exmark Metro 36. It's about 13 years old and after sitting for about a year the 12.5 Kawasaki has finally had it. I purchased for a good deal on ebay a 18 hp Kohler Command. Now the safety switches do not work. All switches have continuity and the engine kills when ground is sent to the kill terminal. I would like to let my wife operate the machine with a good conscience. I have tried many cobinations of wires into the interlock module without success as I have been told that the only difference from Kohler to Kawasaki is the placing of the red and black wires into the wiring harness. It seems to me I just need to be able to make a circuit with the three switches from engine ground to engine kill. There are three switches... transmission (neutral start), blade switch and handles (opc). My problem is with my lack of electrical education I can not make the circuit with the switches being that the transmission is normally closed, the blade switch is normally open and the handles are normally open. PLEASE HELP. I'm getting multiple headaches!!
  9. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Start out with a wiring diagram for your machine. Make sure everything matches the diagram.
  10. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

Go to: http://www.4emweb.com/search.asp

Plug in your model number and check to see if Exmark has a wiring diagram for your model. Some do, some don't. The particular model I happened to choose to look at provided diagrams for three different engine types.