Lawn Care Forum banner

Disadvantages of a box truck?

46K views 175 replies 36 participants last post by  grass disaster 
#1 ·
I've been looking at cube vans lately as a lawn and landscape maintenance truck.

I'm wanting to know what disadvantages you guys can think of. Only things I can think of is not having space for debris. Not being able to plow really doesn't matter as it will make a perfect shovel/salt rig.

My mowing crew consists of a 48" Viking, 36" Metro and soon to add 60" Turf Tracer.
I also plan to carry my landscape maintenance tools, bush trimmers and hand tools. Also irrigation parts.
Hoping after those tools are loaded I still have GVW left for a small air compressor and an extra deep cycle battery for an inverter.
Posted via Mobile Device

#2 ·
I use a 10' cube van but want to get a 12' van next year. Vans have much more advantages than trailers.

Your equipment is not open to the elements should it rain and is not visible to potential thieves, smaller footprint for parking, and can be used for storage both in season and off for your equipment.

#5 ·
can't bag grass, can't remove storm debris, good luck pruning properties with that truck. all it can do it mow grass, no plowing, no hauling material or debris.

#6 ·
I wouldn't be getting rid of the pickup and trailer. Any large debris could haul out in that.

I do my own repairs in house too.

Snow plowing it would make a perfect shoveling rig. 2 single stages and a two stage then a pallet of salt and push spreaders.

The lawns I bag I'm thinking I would approach them with the idea of having cans there I can dump in then I could come around at the end of the week and empty cans into the dump.
Posted via Mobile Device

#8 ·
I want one too but the main things that kill me with that are, the fact that I could put a dump on it instead and I cant plow with it. For me I see it as a third or fourth truck. But theres a fine line between sufficient equipment and way too much overhead.

This is where the switch n go concept is cool.

#10 ·
I use a 10' cube van but want to get a 12' van next year. Vans have much more advantages than trailers.

Your equipment is not open to the elements should it rain and is not visible to potential thieves, smaller footprint for parking, and can be used for storage both in season and off for your equipment.
every hear of enclosed trailers..........

i think if your personal vehicle is seperate from your work vehicle you would be ok using a van truck.

i would never considering anything but a pickup/trailer. i can think of plenty of places i can manuever my truck and trailer into that you could never get a cube van into.

not to mention my work truck is my personal truck as well.

a huge disadvantage for me is the height from which your loading and unloading equipment. a ramp that steep is not something i'm interested in dealing with ever. trailers are much lower to the ground. much safer.

also there are times when some jobs i do don't require me to pull a trailer at all so i just have the truck. i wouldn't want to haul a 10' or 12' van truck to a job that only required a pickup.

#11 ·
I own a 2010 Isuzu Diesel with open Landscaper bed with Detachable dovetail and I like mine very well enclosed would be nice for one reason and that would be to keep equipment out of elements I have a morton building I keep mine in so not really in the elements any ways. As far as doing clean up work I use it just detach the dovetail and the bed is a dump bed Pictures on my profile or go to Pictures thread under my new rig Im very happy with mine I looked at the enclosed ones also and seen more pros in getting the open landscaper

#14 ·
I own a 2010 Isuzu Diesel with open Landscaper bed with Detachable dovetail and I like mine very well enclosed would be nice for one reason and that would be to keep equipment out of elements I have a morton building I keep mine in so not really in the elements any ways. As far as doing clean up work I use it just detach the dovetail and the bed is a dump bed Pictures on my profile or go to Pictures thread under my new rig Im very happy with mine I looked at the enclosed ones also and seen more pros in getting the open landscaper
Man, THAT THIS IS AWESOME!!! I want one of those so bad, exactly like that, removable dovetail and a dump bed. I just don't want the crew cab the standard cab is all I need.

#15 ·
We have been thinking about getting a box truck. I do not want our employees pulling a trailer.

I would keep the truck and enclosed trailer we are using now, so if the box truck had to go in the shop it would not be a problem.

As far as bagging grass, plowing snow, or hauling leaves we don't do any of that.

#16 ·
i'm thinking of getting one with a 16' bed just for mowing i pull a 16' tailer now and i think it would be easier to drive around just for mowing if i need to haul off debree on a job i would just take my open trailer to mow that day beem thinking about this all season everything dry and safe much easier to manuver but i do think you need more than one truck in this bussiness as far as height just have a dove tail with ramp put on the back it what i'm going to do

#18 ·
Man, THAT THIS IS AWESOME!!! I want one of those so bad, exactly like that, removable dovetail and a dump bed. I just don't want the crew cab the standard cab is all I need.
Bed manufactured by Wil-ro inc. out of Gallatin Tn. they have a video of how the dovetail comes off and the dump bed in action check it out I gave $52,000 for truck brand new had it bout a month now I still have a trailer and my truck but I had to keep it so I can haul my Bobcat when we do hard scape and Pools

#19 ·
A major disadvantage for me is the issue that arises when a truck breaks down. With a truck/trailer setup, I can and have simply swapped out the truck and kept on going. I have never had a trailer that wouldn't pull yet but I suppose that buying a new one on the spur of a moment would work if nothing else would.

With a box truck, what are you going to do? Are you going to put everything on hold while you get a new water pump installed? I think that you would still need some sort of a back up system - either another box truck or a truck/trailer combo that could be put into service with short notice. Other than that, I am all for it.

#20 ·
My plan includes three trucks. A cube for the lawn crew. A dump for the landscape crew. And my personal pickup.

I would buy a used cube van as they seem to be very reasonable in price. You can't buy a half ton and an enclosed for the price of a cube van.
Posted via Mobile Device

#21 ·
We have been thinking about getting a box truck. I do not want our employees pulling a trailer.

I would keep the truck and enclosed trailer we are using now, so if the box truck had to go in the shop it would not be a problem.

As far as bagging grass, plowing snow, or hauling leaves we don't do any of that.
and your reason for this would be........

pulling a trailer is NOT rocket science. you don't need special training or a special license either. i never pulled a trailer in my life until i started my lawn business. and i never had anyone teach me anything or any practice.

when i started my business i just went out bought a truck and and trailer and drove it home and started working the next day.

don't get me wrong i'm not trying to pass off pulling a trailer as a casual thing. you need to be more alert and drive more defensively than you do just driving a vehicle everyday but like i said it's not rocket science. i think it took me a whole 2 days if that to get use to stopping, turning and backing up.

#22 ·
Higher initial cost
Poor visability to rear
Manuverability vs truck/trailer?
Width on narrow streets?
Height clearance?
Lack of flexibility vs truck with a bed.
Can't use it for personal use.
Can't garage it unless you have a very tall one.
Resale market not as liquid perhaps as for pickups and trailers.
May not be able to park it in residentially zoned areas.
Security issues if you're buying it thinking your gear will be safe inside it.

#23 ·

pulling a trailer is NOT rocket science. you don't need special training or a special license either. i never pulled a trailer in my life until i started my lawn business. and i never had anyone teach me anything or any practice.

when i started my business i just went out bought a truck and and trailer and drove it home and started working the next day.

don't get me wrong i'm not trying to pass off pulling a trailer as a casual thing. you need to be more alert and drive more defensively than you do just driving a vehicle everyday but like i said it's not rocket science. i think it took me a whole 2 days if that to get use to stopping, turning and backing up.
Maybe you need some perspective on this. I ran a company where employees drove heavy open custom trailers using flatbed duallys and HD vans as tow vehicles. Accidents happened a couple times a year at least, including some that could have been fatal except for pure luck. Sometimes it was just backing into something, other times taking out a post cutting a corner, or just rear ending a car in traffic. Trailers just do not stop like vehicles with the cargo area built-in.

And these were mostly highly motivated older college students who had none of the drug, attitude, or intelligence problems you might find with lawncare workers. Employees are not owners. They are not going to always be as careful, as focused, or safety conscious as you'd like.

So if someone has employees I can see the rationale in going a route to avoid trailers. Then again, large trucks are no picnic either. But trailering definitely is worth some special training time. There have been some ugly accidents with trailers over the years.

#24 ·
Bruno, I'm looking at used ones. They seem to be cheaper than pickups, and the trailer is built in saving the cost of an enclosed.

I can't park my trailer at home, so that's no different.

I'm not trying to be rude, just breaking down what would actually be a disadvantage. Only one bothering me is the ability to haul clippings.
Posted via Mobile Device

#25 ·

Do you have employees? My guess would be no.

I''m not saying it cant' be done but I am saying that I don't want to do it. I also realize that driving a box truck is not like driving a 1/2 ton but I do think the risk would be less than them pulling a trailer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.