Disadvantages of a box truck?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Outdoors_Unlimited, Oct 12, 2010.

1. sdk1959

sdk1959 LawnSite Senior Member

Plain box trucks can be rented (no U-Haul, Rider). If you want signage have magnetic signs made up to use for that event.

2. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

won't arguee there........

well for starters i never pull into a clients driveway. always on the street infront of the clients property.

i would think to save as much gas possbile you would run as tight a route as possible. i wouldn't want to go out and do all mowing for the day then go back to the shop to get a different truck or trailer and go do the debris jobs, especially if the debris job fell in the middle of my mowing route for the day and the debris being collected would fit in the back of the pick up truck.

i pull an enclosed trailer and i've been pulled over by the police. checking my weight because i didn't have DOT numbers.

3. sdk1959

Most cases I do park in the street but if there is no place to park and it's ok with the customer I will park in their driveway. I don't do many debris jobs but if you are only towing a trailer with all your equipment on it a pick-up truck bed without sides really does not hold all that much debris anyway. I've been able to put almost as much in the end of my box cube van if needed.

4. sdk1959

Why couldn't you haul clippings? If your trailer doesn't dump what's the difference. Pull out most of the grass clippings with a rake and use your blower for the rest.

5. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

i can get a good amount of stuff in my pick up bed when needed.

i try to schedule debris jobs all on the same day so i can just take my open trailer with me but if a job comes up that would fall in the middle of a mowing route one day and it's a small enough job i can get the stuff in my pick up bed i have no problem doing it.

you can get a lot of shrub clippings in the bed of a pick up........

6. Outdoors_Unlimited

Outdoors_Unlimited LawnSite Senior Member

The more I think about it I usually don't get more than what I can fit into a 100 gallon garbage can. Most of the bagged lawns get dumped onsite. Fill the can and roll it into the van.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. The LawnRanger

The LawnRanger LawnSite Member

I like having the dump bed on my Landscaper very handy I have already done 2 tree removal jobs with it and came in handy and save time and back

8. Marek

Marek LawnSite Bronze Member

What about a box truck that gets in an accident ? That is my big turn offs on the Isuzu truck. If you look at Isuzu's web site for other places they have air bags and side impact air bags , here they have nothing. Ford now has everything as standard equipment and Chevrolet is optional. I was looking at the Superlawn truck but came back to the enclosed trailer as we do alot of snow .

9. jeremy's lc

jeremy's lc LawnSite Member

I have a ford lcf truck with a side dump for debris & a vanscape body on the back. I can put 1 60in toro, 1 48in walker, 1 42in walker,a honda push mower, 3 blowers, 4 trimmers, 1 backpack sprayer & water cooler all in the back. Wouldn't go back to pulling a trailer at all.

10. The LawnRanger

The LawnRanger LawnSite Member

Not sure what web site your looking at My Isuzu has air bags and side curtain air bags 2010