Disadvantages of a box truck?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Outdoors_Unlimited, Oct 12, 2010.

1. MnGreen

MnGreen LawnSite Senior Member

They sure look unprofessional :confused:
    http://www.supremecorp.com/supreme.php?page=mfg&id=isuzu#vanscaper

2. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

looks unprofessional to me..........:dancing:

most guys purchasing a box truck aren't purchasing those nicer rigs. they are purchasing "uhaul" style box trucks.

either way a truck and trailer is what is best for this business. otherwise you'd hardly see truck and trailer rigs and everyone would be using box trucks. not even the large LCO's use them.

i can think of one outfit in my neck of the woods that uses those trucks with the flat beds. everyone else is using trucks and trailers.

3. SNAPPER MAN

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

Yardguy, the reason most people don't have the nice isuzus and fusos is because of the initial cost. You can buy a truck for $30k and a trailer for an additional $3k. A new isuzu NPR diesel with a landscape body is $45k. That is the reason you don't see many people using them.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. sdk1959

sdk1959 LawnSite Senior Member

As far as a lot of grass clippings and leaves you may have a point, but for branches they can be thrown to the front of the box truck. This is not a issue for me because I don't collect leaves or grass clippings unless it can be dumped on site.

Trying to be all things to all customers all the time is not good business and not for me. If a customer insists on collecting grass clippings and leaves in the fall without a spot or area on-site for dumping well, I guess I'm not their guy, and they're not my target customer. No take with service except tree or hedge work and they pay extra for it.

Just like in any business you have to choose your market and target those customers. Buying all sizes of mowers, running all kinds of rigs to service all kinds of properties & jobs is the Achilles heel of many a LCO.

5. yardguy28

if you say so......

i'd never buy one even if i could afford one.......dispite how wonderful some people think they are i don't happen to agree. i'd take a truck and trailer over one of those any day. you couldn't give me one for free. very impratical for lawn maintenance crews if you ask me.

6. yardguy28

i guess i'm much different than most.

my market and target is anyone willing to hire me and pay the price i quote them. there isn't a job i can't handle with my truck and trailer or the equipment i have.

i refuse to leave clippings and leaves on site. even when the client offers that i can leave them. everything gets hauled away in my truck bed.

7. jeremy's lc

jeremy's lc LawnSite Member

My box truck was around $ 50,000 for diesel truck, vanscape, sideway dump that whole 9 yards of debris & all racks. One insurance, one tag & one set of tires to buy. I ran a truck & open trailer for 6 years. A truck & enclosed trailer for 5 years. But for the last 3 year the box truck have been the best. Have not lost equipment to thieves or do i have to load & unload twice a day.

8. MnGreen

MnGreen LawnSite Senior Member

Impractical to your application and targeted market as you have made it very apparent.
    Its all preference and duty specific so there is no right or wrong, my way or no way.
    These vanscaper bodies & boxes are showing up everywhere and are "extremely" efficient and multifunctional.
    Every business has to purchase equipment service specific to their needs.
    A 1 ton van is a 3500 truck with a light duty box on it that replaces your trailer needs.
    No different then a scaper body sitting on the frame
    In your case you need to daily haul around 40' of truck/equipment to pick up debris apparently.
    Again, that's specific to "your" business model and set up and not the "original posters" circumstances.
    He encounters "zero" disadvantage wanting to add a cube van application and can use it year round for all his services. 6-8g you got the unit, paint the box and just have a ramp gate installed.
    Even the ugly fleet units can be converted cheap and easy.

9. The LawnRanger

The LawnRanger LawnSite Member

I wouldnt go back to truck and trailer now that I bought mine It fits my business perfect I didn't go with the closed box open landscaper bed better suited if your going to go the trailer less route

10. Buck_wheat

Buck_wheat LawnSite Senior Member

Different region, different application, I'm in zone 9; 365 day growing season, maybe I can use the box truck to deliver refridgerators when I'm waiting to cut grass :)

My trailers have drop ramps and the gear just rolls off. My F350 & Ram 3500 have king cabs for the crew & extended beds for the occasional small debris. There is also a dump trailer, holds about 20yrds (I usually schedule major clean ups) it has a drop ramp so I can load from the back to the front, fill er up, pull the cover on and hit the hydrolics when I get to the dump.

Anyway, to each his own :waving: