1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Disadvantages of being solo

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pseudosun, May 8, 2013.

1. Blade Runners

Blade Runners LawnSite Bronze Member

Some of the best advice I have read on here. We were just discussing this today because the rains have been killing us.
  2. Blade Runners

Blade Runners LawnSite Bronze Member

My first thought is go get the V-Ride :weightlifter: to pull out this heavy azz TT. Already had it happen once this season.
  3. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

There is no business model that can change the weather, even if your running a crew.

Most solo operators over "book" work and Saturdays are the "makeupday.

Look at the brightside, its better to be behind than all caught up.
  4. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i think being solo you need to be careful not to overbook too much. i try to plan out each day for only 6hrs of work and nothing on friday as well. that way if i really had to i could mow 2 days worth of yards in 1 day or at least 1 1/2 days worth in 1 day. i can understand booking up friday though and just using saturday as a catch up day.

i think most solo people go wrong when they book 10hrs a day 5 days a week and then they have no room left to work with the schedule if it rains a day or two.

i did work for another company back in college and we worked 8hrs a day 5 days a week no matter what. if it rained we just picked up where we left off and kept going. we never worked weekends to catch up. fridays yards just got moved to monday.
  5. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

This is my second year Ive over booked, if it rains Ill skip the everyother week houses first, it makes for a lot more money, even though Ive had to work till dark a couple of times. I will have a good week even thought I couldnt work monday, and fridays stupp will be floded out, if I wasnt over booked I wouldnt have made much this week because I wont be able to do 2 large accounts.

The 6 hour 4 day model is nice, but I need to make a little more money, hopefully in a few years I can go to that model.
  6. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

the thing about being solo, as others have hinted, you have to plan even more carefully than you normally would. I used to try to always front load my schedule for M-W and have Tr-F for makeups and customers who preferred to have a nice yard "for the weekends". But planning and scheduling is probably 10X more important being solo vs. having a crew.
  7. yardguy29

yardguy29 LawnSite Member

I don't worry about pissing people off anymore. I'm busy enough I stick to my schedule and if someone doesn't like it they are more than welcome to find someone else.

if I actually have time to jump ahead I would do it but if I'm already behind forget about it. I'm not gonna mow a friday account on thurs unless all my mon, tues, wed and thurs accounts are done.

the busier I get the more I become like the guys I've always despised, my way or the highway.
  8. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

I text them...

Sorry, rain got in the way, you are number x in a row starting tomorrow.

(X being their actual number in the order of operation).

Then they know, this guy's taking care of us, might not happen exactly when we want it but it's going to happen.

How I do it.
  9. pseudosun

pseudosun LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm thinking the same way. A slight catch is that 3 friday accounts are all next door to each other. If the chance of rain went down, i'd feel better. It wouldn't be the first time the weather man was wrong
  10. billc1004

billc1004 LawnSite Member

well said .