1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Disadvantages of being solo

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pseudosun, May 8, 2013.

1. Above Par Lawns

Above Par Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Good thread! I'm going through the same thing right now. Plus I work 40 hrs a week elsewhere. I'm starting to think maybe I should just quit the other job.
  2. pseudosun

pseudosun LawnSite Bronze Member

I know .... i couldn't do what you do. 40 hours plus this, no thanks. :dizzy:
  3. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

yeah it's just an idea. even 6hrs a day 5 days a week would work. that still leaves you a few hrs extra each day and saturday to catch up if needed.

you just have to find the right balance and what works for you.

i'm not even totally full yet but i'm turning away work. i used to just jump at almost anything to make a few extra bucks. now i'm seeing how building your customer base to fit what you want for your business is more important in the long run.

i'm done with these 1-2 time cuts or anything out of the ordinary like that. sure you'll make an extra $50-$100 but it's more of a hassle than anything else and that extra money isn't gonna be enough to make you rich and pay your bills. :laugh:

i'm only interested in serious customers that want me to mow their lawns all season long year after year. anything else is a waste of time and effort. gotta think long term not short term.
  4. smallstripesnc

smallstripesnc LawnSite Senior Member

I always have people "thinking" its going to rain because they see 10% chance of rain on weather.com and they want me to drop everything and come as soon as I get their call or email. Its pretty ridiculous. They don't understand that I have many other lawns and each day my schedule is maxed out and I don't have time and want to waste fuel to go out of my way for one lawn and then fall behind.

I've tried having a helper but no one edges or trims like I do. I can run while edging and trimming and still do a great job but the people I try out can't even walk like a turtle and do it right and I end up going back doing it anyways. Maybe I haven't found the right person but at the same time I don't make enough as it is to have to pay an employee.

I agree there's disadvantages of being solo. Situations like this, getting home at dark, if you get sick your stuck working because no one can fill in for you, and when you see a client actually at home (rare for me) you talk their ears off haha.

Advantages are there's absolutely no miscommunication, job is always done right, I don't have to worry about anyone hitting any wires near A/C units or on the side of the home since I know all my properties I manage, and one of the biggest is that you don't have to worry about a guy not showing up.

I agree with the above poster that I've learned its very important to find the RIGHT clients not just any and all. I am turning down a lot of work as well. My phone rings off the hook and there's just not enough hours in the day to add their lawn to my schedule. I only offer weekly service. Many want bi-weekly but its proof that it just grows way too fast for bi-weekly around here. I had to skip a few lawns last week and I'm definitely paying the price because they look like a fescue forest and they email me saying they're getting letters from their HOA complaining their lawn is way too high but they're the one who asked me to skip last week. I don't do one time cuts or anything either. Its a lot of hassle to go out of my way for one lawn.
    Last edited: May 9, 2013
  5. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

I could not agree more.

One has to pick the right clients.
    And stick to your guns on rates and let the biweekly cheapies go.

Posted via Mobile Device
  6. Landscraper1

Landscraper1 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Southeastern Ma.

Being solo has nothing to do with your problem. You have to schedule lawn cuttings on Monday to Thursday. If it rains one day, you cut on Friday. If it rains two days you cut on Saturday.
    You have to schedule this way and explain to your customers how it works. Be sure to tell them that this is not for when it rains on their day but, any day that rains on or before their scheduled day.
  7. Caddyshack Lawn Care

Caddyshack Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

All this talk about bi-weeklies had me scratching my head. For the first time in 15 years I had someone yesterday ask me if I could mow bi-weekly. I'm normally polite and respectful, but I just shook my head and walked back to my truck. Around here most lawns need cutting every 3-5 days this time of year. The longest I'll go is 7. I'd need a bush hog to let one go two weeks.
  8. Bi weekly down here in my area of fl is almost non existent.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. pseudosun

pseudosun LawnSite Bronze Member

i work very close to weeze's suggestion (6 hours / 5 days). This is so true - ""I've tried having a helper but no one edges or trims like I do."" Scheduling for monday through thursday only won't work for me. I have premium customers on friday who requested friday. It's simple, top payers get that spot. I'd rather play catch up than play it safe each week, and not schedule friday work.
  10. zackvbra

zackvbra LawnSite Senior Member

I think a disadvantage of being solo is you have to wear like 5 different hats at the same time. Accountant, salesman, laborer and all.