disapering kio

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by zim bob the landscaper, Aug 3, 2005.

1. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

Up where you live, I would think that the racoons would have a nice little party with those rascals. Sort of like "night fishin".

2. SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC LawnSite Member

Ok Just An Idea............go To Wally World And Get A Few Big El Cheapo Goldfish...............sit Up All Night In A Well Concealed Spot With A .22 Rifle With A Night Scope.., And Oh Yeah, If U Got A Cat You Might Wanna Take Him In The House. Worse Yet , If Its A Skunk, Dont Move And Definitely Dont Shoot !!

3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Raccoon,net your pond tight.

4. DRCOUNTRY

DRCOUNTRY LawnSite Member

it is probably a blue heron. They can clean you out, I had the same problem. I bought a plastic decoy of a blue heron and placed it by the pond overlooking the water. Looks natural and solved my problem. Seems blue herons are territorial and will stay away if they see another. Add some under water grass, this will help put oxygen in the water and provide refuge.

5. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Had the same thing happen this June and I found a very large bullfrog in the pond that I think was the culprit.

6. n2h20

n2h20 LawnSite Senior Member

do you have plants?
    how deep is your pond?
    do you have large rock in the pond?
    it takes a koi awhile to get used to their new pond and could hide for days,
    if you have some plants in the pond that will help them hide from heroins. Does your pond have staright sides (like a swimming pool) if it is sloped like and aquascapes pond? if it has straight sides it was most likely a heroin, if it has sloped sides with rocks it was most likely a raccoon, Aslo if it was a racoon the pond would be thrashed, plants torn up, rocks moved, and the pond would just be a mess.
    second koi cannot be frozen then thawed out and survive. The can however handle freezin water, just not FROZEN water.

7. zim bob the landscaper

zim bob the landscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

i have lots of rocks big rocks