1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Disappearing Tailgate

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mark_the_psycho, Jan 9, 2008.

1. mark_the_psycho

mark_the_psycho LawnSite Member

Anyone know of a place other than Pick-N-Pull to get used car parts, my tailgate just walked off the other day

2. mark_the_psycho

3. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

ebay or craigslist. You might be able to buy your own tailgate back :cry:

4. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

I guess your tailgate was stolen???? Was it a Ford??? There have been alot of tailgate thefts in my area lately. The area news channels say they sell them for around 600 to 800 dollars a piece!

5. mark_the_psycho

Are you serious??? I have never heard of someone stealing a tailgate... It's a 99 f250 superduty, people I've asked have told me I'll never find a superduty in a junkyard and that my best bet would be to look for a 150 tailgate. For 6-8 hundered bucks, you'd think no one would both with crawling around stealing cats when tailgates don't even require tools to take

6. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

you can find a super duty in a junk yard, i was actually just at one on monday and they had 9 or 10 newer F150's and a few Super Dutys...check your yellow pages, i bet theres more junk yards around you then you know

7. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

I bet if you do a little research you will find that its pretty big business. My local tv news ran a video survellance of a man stealing one in a local business parking lot. It took about 10 seconds. He was driving a chevrolet 3/4 ton pulling a enclosed trailer. They said they were being stolen to be resold in other parts of the U.S. The 600 to 800 dollars sounded high to me also. But if you think about it if you needed a factory color you dont need to paint it. There were 16 stolen in 3 days here. Hope you find out what happened to it.

8. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I got one.

9. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Damn! I would have never thought about the tailgates getting stolen. They are expensive though! i got quoted to get a new tailgate painted to match my truck 800.00 (98 Silverado)

10. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Major problem around here also. Put a hose clamp around the little hinge peice that usually comes out and you will most likely stop them from taking it. Also try and lock it, but the hose clamp is still a must as many guys will pick the locks.

Cheers
    Jeff