Disappointed in life of PTO clutch

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SLMGT, May 27, 2011.

1. SLMGT

SLMGT LawnSite Member

I have a 60" Hustler Super Z with a 31 hp Kawasaki with just over 500 hours. I have owned the mower for 2 years 8 months and have just had to replace the clutch. I would have thought the clutch would have lasted for at least 1000 hours. The dealer inquired about Hustler possibly replacing the clutch but was told that the 2 year warranty had passed and Hustler would not replace the clutch. The dealer was told that life of clutch could vary due to moisture exposure and cutting conditions. The mower is kept in an enclosed trailer and is used to cut lawns not cow pastures or hay fields. In reading the owners manual it appears that Hustler figures the average mower used for business will probably put on 500 hours per year. I'm pretty disappointed in the clutch going after only 500 hours over 2 seasons. How many hours are most of you getting out of your clutches? I'm asking the questions for both Hustlers owners and owners of other brands. I appreciate any input. :confused:

2. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Our lazer has 2500 hours on original clutch and our 34Z has 1800 on original clutch and our 160Z has 1100 on original clutch.

3. docshank

docshank LawnSite Member

Had to replace the clutch on my Grasshopper 721D at a little over 2500 hours.

docshank

4. sgrenier24

sgrenier24 LawnSite Member

Just replaced mine today on a Lazer Z with 1600 hours.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. LaLawnGuy

LaLawnGuy LawnSite Member

Hustler Z-334 hrs. Ferris 1500-373 hrs. Bearing on Hustler, wires broke on Ferris. Not happy about either.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

Not to be a smarty pants, but do you engage the clutch at full throttle?

7. StanWilhite

StanWilhite LawnSite Silver Member

That was the question I was going to ask. Also, do you disengage at full throttle? I learned (through some of the good folks on this site) that there is a braking system on the PTO that stops it when it's disengaged. The faster the engine is turning when the PTO is disengaged, the faster it wears out. I let my engine/deck slow to idle before disengaging.
    Stan

8. LaLawnGuy

LaLawnGuy LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device
    I do, but both of these were obtained through buy-outs. I'll change that if I need to.

9. Lawn Specialties

Lawn Specialties LawnSite Member

I have a wb with 1700 hrs that is on it's 3rd clutch and I have a Z with 1400 hrs and it's still on the original. While I try to take it easy on mine and not engage them at full throttle I'm not convinced that has much to do with mine failing.They didn't get week like they were worn out. They developed shorts so basically they were fine one minute and junk the next. Ive pretty much figured out clutches are a maintenance item. It's not if they fail but when.

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic