1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Disappointed in this Pain in the butt customer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1MajorTom, Jun 26, 2002.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Don't normally like to complain about people, but Monday we were pretty irritated.

Early March we get a call from a snobby lady who wanted her lawn renovated. She is 55 years old and a secretary to an attorney.

Went to look at her lawn and basically it came down to that there really wasn't any grass there. Mostly dirt and a few weeds.

The lawn itself is very small. The front is around 1100 sq ft.
    That's all she wanted renovated. The back she wants done in the fall, same size.

So Matt took part of a Saturday to do her lawn. Totally leveled it out, brought in top soil, etc...
    Specifically told her that she must keep the ground moist every day.

A week and and half later, she is calling. "Call me at my office. We need to discuss why my lawn is not coming up."
    Ok, call her and find out she only watered one time.
    Told her she must water and keep it moist every day.
    So she does, and the grass begins to grow.

A little over a week later she is calling again. "Call me at my office. We need to discuss all these bare spots."
    Ok, we go back and apply a starter fert and a little more seed.

"A few days later, she calls again. "Call me at my office." (Her favorite opening line). We need to discuss the weeds that are coming up.

Told her we weren't applying any weed control until the grass could become more established.

When it did, we applied weed control.

By May 17th, the lawn was a sheer green plush carpet. It stood out like a sore thumb on the whole block.
    It was so dark green it was unbelievable.

Matt kept saying, "We got to get pictures of this small lawn."

She called us again, and said that all the neighbors were asking her who did her lawn. She said she was getting lots of compliments on it.

We cut it every Monday. (7 day cycle)

We went there this Monday. Guess what? The lawn is CUT. Not cut I should say, but scalped to the ground.
    As we sat there in front of her house in disbelief, these two guys in suits come out.
    Matt asks them what happened to the lawn.
    They say, "Well Ellie said you were supposed to be here this weekend to cut it, and when you weren't here I cut it for her because she was having company." Matt told them about how scalped the lawn was and that they better lay some heavy water on it. They said not to worry.
    Going into the hottest part of the year so far, and the grass is cut to about an inch. :rolleyes:

Today, come home, and there is a message from her on the answering machine. "Call me at my office."
  2. Oh come on you should know better than that.

All seeding jobs we do, in the contract it specifies "WATER 2 times daly no acceptions"

I would not have reseeded her lawn.

Second did you promiss to mow on the weekend? I think not this lady knew she has you by the cahonies and pushed you as far as she knew she could.

Drop her like an anchor
  3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I should have been more clear.
    She paid for all work we did. Any additional seed, the starter fert, etc.
    This is not a complaint about money.

We really take pride in our lawns.
    In the evenings sometimes, we take rides to get ice cream and just to cruise around. We will sometimes ride by some of our customers lawns to check them out and admire them. :blush:
    This was one of them.

It is just irritating now that the lawn is totally scalped after it looked so good. She knows we cut her lawn on Mondays and not on the weekend.

We don't need to dump her. She pays well for our services.
    She is the one that has to look at a screwed up lawn.

Quote: Oh come on you should know better than that.

Know better than what? I don't get it.
  4. Dennis E.

Dennis E. LawnSite Senior Member

I feel for ya"! The first word that really stuck out was "attorney".
    Seems like it will be an up-hill battle.
    Did you and hubby get a maintenance agreement on paper with her?
    I know Tom worked his tail off to get her lawn fixed up but the "long run"(maintenance) is a whole different story. People just don't have a clue sometimes, when it comes to maintaining turf,plants,etc.
  5. He says it best.

Now that you specified that it was an additional charge.
  6. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

This is like when you tell one person a story and they tell 25 others and it's all screwed up when it gets to the last person... :dizzy:

It only took two in this case ;)
  7. Dennis E.

Dennis E. LawnSite Senior Member

We know what Jodi is getting at. My post was to find out if they had anything in place to protect themselves.
    Tom worked his tail off to renovate the lawn,Tom and Jodi have been maintaining the lawn. Someone else comes in and scalps it. Who do you think this lady is going to yell at for problems because of it?:rolleyes:
  8. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

Keep in mind, her lawns original condition and how it got that way.
  9. ADMowing

ADMowing LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Hi Jodi!

We used to live in Graysville (south of little Washington) and I went to college at W & J. Familiar????

We'd just ask the lady to please not let anyone else mow it 'cause we've invested a lot into the lawn and she certainly has! If she wants to keep it that way, she needs to use our service exclusively. If not, we need to walk away from this before it gets to be a problem.

Sorry about the scalped lawn! That's a bummer!!!

A & D (Alex and Debbie)
  10. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 LawnSite Member

:cry: THAT SUX! I hate people who complain out the wazu and then have something nice, get it looking good and then BAM....they screw with the system. Makes u wonder doesn't it?