Disappointed with shinduawa hedge trimmer

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ed2hess, Nov 19, 2013.

1. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We have 2 different models of these hedge trimmers and both have had the gear box crack. Everybody that have used them really likes the units. Now I am out of warranty so $50 to much to risk.

20131115_121537.jpg

20131115_121547.jpg

I will figure out a way to use the power head for trimmer. Any body else have problems with them.

20131115_121537.jpg

20131115_121547.jpg

2. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Silver Member

Had a couple redmax units do same thing. I made a support bracket that came off the gearcase cover screw and went up to the forward -most bar support bolt. Used a longer bolt and red locktite. The idea was/is to kinda support the bar from lateral movement. I reckon it worked, never had any problems with the beefed up unit that I know of.

3. brosko

brosko LawnSite Member

I have noticed that about redmax and shindaiwa. The cases look real flimsy. I have echos and they take some real abuse. 8 years of hellish abuse on my echo hca260 and case has never cracked. Take a look at an echo in person and you will see what i mean.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Yes you are right about the new echo units they are beefy.

5. themadcutter

themadcutter LawnSite Senior Member
    from florida

thats one hell of a crack. looks like it blew up. It does look like an older unit though. am I correct?

You can replace the gear box on those for $50? I would have thought that part was much more.

If its a common problem I would just save the motor for use on an edger or something and get a different hedge trimmer.

6. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

were you trailering them in the folded out (cutting position) or did you or your guys always make sure to articulate them back and strap them to the shaft when they were on the trailer?

7. themadcutter

from florida

thats an interesting point. Even though there are non articulating trimmers I would think, now that you mention it, that folding them back would create much less stress on them while bouncing on the trimmer rack.

But what about the non articulating ones?

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

20131120_164404.jpg

I began to take it apart and noticed a bolt was out. I will probably fix it but it is a tough repair. I will figure out some way to but a strap around gearbox.

20131120_164404.jpg

9. themadcutter

from florida

maybe you could just hold it together with a small cheap harbor freight c clamp

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

It became apparent that i won't be repairing it when i ran into the first antitamper screw and couldn't get it out. I think these damn things cost over $500, ,no more.