1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Disappointed with the fall cleanup outlook thus far

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by RLS24, Sep 13, 2010.

1. RLS24

RLS24 LawnSite Bronze Member

Around here, half of that work is eliminated because the town picks up all the leaves, so all you have to do is get them to a pile at the curb.

I like that and I am probably going to do that next year...same thing with plowing just give them the all season package.
  2. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

I find that people will wait until November to ask for leaf cleanup. Be patient, it will happen.
  3. Brad Ent

Brad Ent LawnSite Member

I agree with hack... people wait till late Oct before they start calling about Fall clean ups. Get out and sell some aerting and slice seeding.
  4. cut level

cut level LawnSite Senior Member

Nobody is thinking fall cleanup around here it will be at least 1st of November. We will be lucky to get a frost by Halloween here in the south. Just the way it is. Dang its just September 14.
  5. Southern Pride

Southern Pride LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Memphis

cut level, are you in Memphis? I agree we got a good bit before leaf cleanups. The only thing keeping me busy is a few cuts here and there and the hedge trimmings. I am trying to up sell some mulch too. It is good to mulch in the fall right?
  6. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

i don't know how some of you are doing fall clean ups. especially the one's that say they aren't charging any extra since they use walkers mowers or whatever.

for regular clients i come on a weekly basis and blow out the mulch beds and bag up the leaves with grass catcher on the mower. this is an extra charge. any time the grass catcher goes on it's an extra charge. it takes more having to empty the catcher. even if it is only emptied a couple of times.

the clients that purchase my premium service automatically get the fall clean ups. i just start them when it is time and charge accordingly.

the basic service clients have to be asked and receive a letter with there sept. invoice.

it is sometimes hard to get them to purchase the clean ups. best i do is let them know what is envolved and how it will look when it is done. if they purchase this service great. if not i just move on. i stop service on the properties that will no longer need cutting because the growth of the grass is next to nothing and leave them with there leaves for the fall.

the regulars that don't use my fall clean up services just create more open spots for the one timers that call and want there leaves done.
  7. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

Its tough out there, and its only getting worse...
  8. meicher806

meicher806 LawnSite Senior Member

ill drink to that :drinkup:
  9. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

call those accounts specifcally. If they still don't want a clean up mow right over the leaves and charge your regular rate.
  10. RHill

RHill LawnSite Member

I never actually bag or pick up fall leaves. I just mulch them up. A lot of the dumps now wont take bags of leave or grass. They dont want to waste landfill space with organic materials.