1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mtdman, Jul 26, 2003.

1. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

First, if you haven't been to this thread, go read it now.

The text and some code from my website, which I created in Jan of 2002 by hand from scratch from the ground up, has been copied by another member and posted on his website. Most of the copied text is word for word, with his name inserted instead of mine.

To learn more about copyright law and the internet, check out this page on a friend of mine's web hosting company's page.
    This means the minute I published my works on my site in Jan 2002, I retained the copyright for that work. Last month I had a similar issue with my Halloween Website, which prompted me to file for copyright with the copyright office for both my websites. That gives me the right to litigate, and litigate I will if MY CONTENT is not removed from that site. To the tune of $100,000 per page.

I have posted a link to my website on this board for others to see how I do business. If someone can take a few tips, gain some info on how to do whateva, or get inspiration, great. I have taken time to answer people's questions and offer advice when asked. However, I did not give permission for wholesale copying of my site, and I did not intend to distribute website templates for free. I spent many hours creating that website, and I am not just going to roll over and let people pirate my material.

I am disappointed that a fellow Lawnsite member has done this. I thought we had a good bunch of people here willing to help each other out. While I believe most of that is true, it's obvious that some people are just out to cheat and get by illegally.

I apologize if this does not belong in this forum, but I wanted to bring it to EVERYONE's attention, and I didn't think this problem was getting the exposure necessary in the Website forum
  2. GLAN

GLAN Banned

clicked the link for the other guy. Came up blank
  3. mtdman

Try this http://www.wobblez.com/

And he has more content than just stuff from my website on there, so those of you with websites might want to check it out to see if he copied from you.

4. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Try this: http://www.wobblez.com/

I didn't look thru most of wobblez site, but the homepage text appears to be identical to mtdmasters.
  5. michigangrass

michigangrass LawnSite Member

Its too bad to see this happen but regardless the industry you're in, people will pull wording from well laid out web sites to use in their own. Happens all the time. It is a little ballsy to use it word for word though.

Just be happy that the guy is in AL and not right here in Ann Arbor.
  6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Who Is Thomas? It said He Is the Creator.?
  7. mtdman

I am Thomas, I created the site.
  8. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Looks like word for word

Damn :(
  9. mrbenfer

mrbenfer LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

1)if this ever happened to me i would take it more as a complement and settle the Copyright out of court. And if he doesn't remove his stolen material off his website i would't sweat it. We all know that taking the easy way out in life gets you nothing in return and will only hurt you in the long run.. This guy is going to be out of business before you can take him to court anyway.

2)Now i'm going to use some constructive criticism and say that I would rather see a more professional looking web page from a guy that is going anal over a small copyright dispute. I think your menu bar is a ugly color and your buttons need to be a different shape.

I think a whole renovation of your website is in order. I would be sick of my website after a year or so.

Anyways I hope you dont take offense to this post.. I have learned a few helpful hints that have made my start up a breeze.

Thanks, P&P LawnCare*LandScape
  10. mrbenfer

mrbenfer LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

As i'm going through your site i saw a page that you update close to weekly that updates your customers on why you didnt mow because it rained and bla bla bla. I love that idea! Now i just have to steel your webpage and call it mine. :p

Mitch, P&P LawnCare*LandScape