Disappointment with Echo261T trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joed, Aug 26, 2007.

1. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

After reading the great reviews on the Echo 261t, I decided to purchase one. However, it's been a big disappointment. The engine sounds like it's muffled and not running smoothly. It makes a lot of noise but doesn't cut anything. At 25.4 cc, it actually has less power and strength than my 22.5 cc Shindaiwa t230 trimmer. I took it back to the dealer, he did some adjustments and said the trimmer needs about 20 hours to break in. He also said that Echo units in general, don't have the same power as other brands like Stihl, Shindaiwa etc. Is it normal for this trimmer to be doing this or something wrong?

2. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

It does have to break in. I have that trimmer and love it.

3. M&SLawnCare

M&SLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I just picked one up last week. Very satisfied with it and has all the power i could want. Did a brush/very high weeds job on saterday and it chewed through it no problem. Take it back for a new one if it doesn't run well after its broken in.

4. Tlvoskamp

Tlvoskamp LawnSite Member

I love mine, I have run it hard, no problems and plenty of power.

Tlvoskamp

5. DOLMARatOS

DOLMARatOS LawnSite Member

Maybe you got a Dud?

I'd suggest asking for a demo unit and trying that. If the power seems way off then maybe your unit has some issue.

Also, when 2-cycles break-in there is a difference in power but not a night and day difference. They seem to go from 90% to 100% that's it.

6. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

That is bs:confused:

Yes, engines do require break in. You should read your manual. There will be about a 20 percent power difference after a week or two.

Use Echo brand oil and 89 or higher octane. Make sure you air cleaner cover stays tight and filters clean. Make sure to clean any build up off the engine block to prevent overheating. Should provide you with years of service with routine servicing

7. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

i haven't used a 21in mower sense i got it , mine screams

8. MuleCutter

MuleCutter LawnSite Member

everything that these guys said..... same goes for me. i've had mine a little over a month and love it so far. only thing that bothers me about it is that it burns my forearm when i trim for a few minutes. there's no vibration, enough power, and it's light.....

9. EMJ

EMJ LawnSite Member

I got one at the begining of the season. Liked it so much I purchased a second one last week.

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I bought 3 new ones this year and they are monsters ......with the low rpm gear head these units will cut with the bigger cc units......We pull over 22 inches of cord......I can't image any adjustment that should be needed on a brand new unit.....What are you comparing it to:confused: