Discharge chute...necessary?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by MGH-PA, Apr 4, 2011.

1. MGH-PA

MGH-PA LawnSite Member

I'm getting around to ordering the service items for the Gravely 148z I purchased this winter, and one of the items that was not included from the previous owner is the discharge chute. I read on a few places that a lot of owners take them off and leave them off for trimming purposes, but it seems like it could be a safety issue with that blade being so close to the outside edge of the deck.

How many here keep their discharge chutes intact on the deck?

2. avguy

avguy LawnSite Senior Member

I keep the chute on my 48 " TTHP flipped up but I'm not in a residential area.

3. drumz2129

drumz2129 LawnSite Member

I keep the chute on my 72" Lazer Z flipped in the down position. I seem to get as good if not better clipping dispersion than with it up. It also keeps me from being covered in grass when the wind is blowing.

4. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

Search for the thread here within the last year where a man took a piece of rebar through the jaw and face. In that case the chute was either missing or not used from what I remember.

5. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

i dont use the chute on mine. none of the companies around me do either

6. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't hire you. Or them.

7. LewisLawn

LewisLawn LawnSite Senior Member

on my WB i don't run it with the chute on.....but i do on my ztr,,,i suggest that you go all out and get a mulching kit and a stripping kit to look professional

8. lotsagrass

lotsagrass LawnSite Senior Member

I still have it on mine but I 'usually' leave it flipped up to get the grass dispersed a little better. I have a large piece or land with no other houses nearby. If I lived really close to someone, I'd probably be inclined to keep it down, just in case.

9. JABBERS

JABBERS LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I use a chute blocker i think from trimmer trap. I can close or open the chute from the seat also great mulcher for leaves.

10. StihlBR600

StihlBR600 LawnSite Senior Member

I would like to keep mine down all the time, but its sooo annoying! there are soo many places you cant go when it is down. And it does disperse the clippings better when it is up