1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

discharge chute up or down?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by djflats, Jun 7, 2009.

1. djflats

djflats LawnSite Senior Member

I'd just like to know how many mow with the discharge chute down or do you cut with it up. Right now I have a bungie cord on it and it is lifted about half way. Does the position of the chute effect the cut at all? Just curious...thanks.
  2. Big Bad Bob

Big Bad Bob LawnSite Bronze Member
    from zone 5

In the taller spring grass I keep the chute up otherwise you can get rows of clippings. I find that when mulching leaves such as maple or oak, it chops better with the chute down. Then I either bag or lift the chute and broadcast the clippings and leaves.
  3. djflats

djflats LawnSite Senior Member

As wet as it's been this spring here I've been cutting with the chute about 1/2 way open, maybe a little more. I just cut here at home right now but with work, it's hard to keep up with...as you all know. When it starts to get a little dryer I'll try dropping it all the way down.
    I just wanted to know how you guys in the business do it and for what reasons. I just cut here, no mulching. Thanks for the response BBB.
  4. Puddle of Oil

Puddle of Oil LawnSite Bronze Member

i took mine off!
  5. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

Likewise...at least on my WB's.

It gets in the way and worst of all, it makes the clippings not disperse out as widely..

Safer?...probably. but I'm not the safest dude around either.
  6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

What's a discharge chute?
  7. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

Good one :drinkup:
  8. GreenAcresLandscaping

GreenAcresLandscaping LawnSite Member

Mine is always up because most of my customers have irrigation and the grass is always thick, with it down it doesn't disperse the clippings as nicely.
  9. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

I dont know. Do mowers come with those?
  10. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

For saftey reasons I run my "chute" closed.
    Posted via Mobile Device