Discharge chute...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Up North, Apr 30, 2005.

1. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

I'm probably going to get a ton of suggestions from both sides of the road on this one but here goes:

I've given some thought to removing my discharge chute on the ZTR, but haven't done so as I'm afraid that if something shoots out of my deck it'll be flying mach 1 at about 4 feet in the air vs. being directed downward with the chute on. Reason for removal is simply so I can cut closer to objects on the right side of the mower. I've seen numerous pictures of other LCO's equipment with the chute removed, is this a huge hazzard?

IMO there appears to be some safety issues with doing this. Am I correct or is it really not a problem?

Buck

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Get one of these.
    John

047-600-555.jpg

3. The Lawn Ranger

The Lawn Ranger LawnSite Member

the quick chute was the best investment i ever made

4. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

I know I can add one of those, but when you run that thing in the open position is a major hazard? If it's not too bad I need to look into one, what do they run $$ wise?

Buck

5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

In the pic its not fully closed, It will shoot the grass down, only in open areas you will have it open all the way.

John

6. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

Hey John are you running meg mo's on that mower? If so do you have much of a clumping or windrowing problem when it is close to being fully closed like in the picture?

7. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

I do not have a chute on my walkbehind. I dont see many guys around have them on any of their machines. You should be fine just taking it off.

8. SeacoastDesignsL&L

SeacoastDesignsL&L LawnSite Member

Both the chutes are off my walk behind and zero turn, Ive never had a problem.

9. Cut 2 Please

Cut 2 Please LawnSite Member

I run full mulch kits on all my mowers. They never come off. I don't have a problem with anything getting thrown.

10. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I drilled a hole in my stock chute & hook it up with a tarp strap when I'm in areas that its safe to be wide open. unhook the strap and it snaps back down into position.