1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discharge chutes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mkwl, Jul 27, 2004.

Discharge chutes on mowers

1. Leave it on.

3 vote(s)
  2. Take it off.

24 vote(s)
  3. Leave it on but flip it up in heavy grass.

17 vote(s)
  1. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you guys take off the discharge chutes or leave them on?
  2. Steve1

Steve1 LawnSite Senior Member

The first time you wing something out of the chute that you did not see and it nails something or someone will be all the convincing you need to have left it on.

I see so many cutters running no chute and mowing residential areas and along highways/roads with a catastrophe waiting to happen. One stone flung in someone's eye or into someone's car windshield causing an accident because the driver over reacted and the attorney's will have your whole operation without much convincing of the jury.

Yeah, a chute is a hassle and they can prevent good dispersal in certain conditions but c'mon - they're on there for two very good reasons.

Safety first, personal liability second.

The best compromise is an OCDC but even then, you have GOT to be careful where you choose to leave it open. You just never know when the neighbor's child, dog, or whatever will be in the path of the unseen object flung out of your chute at nearly 100 mph. :eek:

Not worth the risk in my opinion. Not for anything in the world.
  3. Liberty Lawncare

Liberty Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I cant rember the last time I seen someone mow with a chute. Steve has a good point about safty. I have thought about cutting 2or3 inches off the end of my chute to help with dispersal. I removed my chute a month after I got it.
  4. thegreenjeansman

thegreenjeansman LawnSite Member

i leave it on with a pull chain to yank it up on those close calls or to scatter the last line of cut grass, i can't stand the amount of dirt you eat when the shoot is up, not to mention i have personally seen a passenger window and driver window get takenn out with a stray horseshoe comes out,whew i still feel embaressed for the guy and it wasn't even my crew, leave those gaurds on they are there for a good reason.
  5. matthew horner

matthew horner LawnSite Senior Member

They are on there to save the manufactures butt.

6. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

I go for this option: Leave it on but flip it up in heavy grass...

My Toro has the new rubber chute so hitting things isn't an issue, keeps the dust away too.

Eventually I will have a Qwikchute installed though...
  7. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I've left mine on my mower, but it's flipped up 75% of the time.. The other 25%.. It's down.. When I can't avoid a congested area.
  8. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

First thing i do to a new mower is remove the chute. Then i make a ocdc.
  9. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

same here. My dad has guys in the shop at his work fabricating an OCDC

10. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

I trim mine off about one inch at a time until it disperses clippings like I want ,but still keeps them down so they don't blow allover me or on places I don't want them. This is usually about 3 or 4 inches in length and tapering down the sides to about 2 or 3 inches. I still can flip it up in extremely heavy cutting.