Discharge Or Mulch?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ztrguy, Apr 19, 2003.

1. ztrguy

ztrguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE FL

I have the Exmark HP, what do you guys prefer: Side Discharge or Mulch Kit? Mulch Kit seems to make it look a lot better, but Side Discharge sure seems faster. What is everyone's preference?

2. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Side discharge.

3. J & J Mowing

J & J Mowing LawnSite Member
    from KS

I also have a ExMark hp
    I mulch everything.
    :blob3:

4. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

Depends on the circumstance..If I have a property that is small, and meticulously maintained, then I would mulch, close to the beds, so I dont get any clippings in them. An easy chute comes in handy for this, just open an close whenever you want.

For large yards with no mulch beds in site I usually chute it. If the grass was a little to long, I might go over it twice. In other words I would diamond cut it, just so it doesn't have the discharge trail.

5. Lawn-N-Garden Guy

Lawn-N-Garden Guy LawnSite Senior Member

I side discharge till the grass growths slows a little then mulch the rest of the time,Usually its the 1st few cuts in the spring I side discharge

6. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

There was a poll on this awhile back and believe it ot not, most discharged.

MATT

7. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a turf tracer and a lazer.. In the spring, I discharge, but in summer and early fall, before leaves get too heavy, mulching is the way to go....

8. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I don't have a dedicated mulch kit for my mower (probably wouldn't have enough power anyway 14hp-52"). So what I do is run double blades (gator over medium lift) and an OCDC coupled together make a great team. Open areas let 'er fly and the doubles keep it looking pretty good even discharging. Tighter areas or just small where it would get blown onto walks, drives, buildings, trees, cars, etc. or people are around, close OCDC and it semi-mulches. If it's dry it does alot better but in these areas I will usually double cut because it leaves a line at the OCDC cut off. Usually it's such a small area that double cutting takes little extra time anyway and easier than cleaning up clippings later but you still have to blow off the walks, just can go alittle faster!

FYI, an OCDC is Operator Controlled Discharge Chute. Not a substitute for a mulch kit but in dry and lower growth areas it works almost as well as one. Mainly it is a safety and convenience device. It does great for mulching leaves!!! With the doubles on and OCDC closed, one pass and they're gone! Second pass with it open, and you will never know they were there! If you have never seen one you need to get one! Here is what they look like. This one is closed to semi-mulch. The grass is wet and kind of tall/thick. I double cut and still had clumps (both times with OCDC closed) there are several trees close with mulch around them where I'm standing to snap the pic. Dual trim side machine too. You can see the line of clippings it leaves. Looks worse when they dry but double cut and they disappear usually.

"The Director" is a good proven OCDC that should fit the eXmark Lazer HP. EZChute is a good one that fits eXmark Turf Tracer HP walk behinds if that is what you mean by HP. Worth the money IMO. I made mine (make all my stuff LOL). Sorry to make this long but I feel my fellow LCO's should be informed of double blades and OCDC's. If it makes our lawns look better it will get us that much farther in the fight against scrubs!!!!

apr19300.jpg

9. stang358

stang358 LawnSite Member

BHB, could you post a closer pic of your OCDC? I am looking at adding one to my 32" and my rider. I am interested in how it is operated. I can see the lever and the arm in your pic, but am not sure how it controls the OCDC. Thanks for any help you can come up with.

10. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

The lever you are seeing is probably the hydro drive speed lever (right side of handlebars from operator's position). Here's OCDC close-up pics. This is one I made for a Scag Advantage deck for a guy. I use turn-to-lock cables for them. I can sell you the cable but not the complete kit. If you want a cable it is $18 plus the postage. I buy them for $16.65 so it's not as pricey as it sounds... I can tell you all about how to make one but cannot actually make you one. Liability is the problem my friend. The cable mounts on a bracket that clamps to the handlebars and the OCDC plate attaches in place of the original chute and then the only hold to drill is for the cable clamp. Not shown in the pic is a spring to assist holding the flap's weight to prevent premature breakage of the cable (I had problems with my cable breaking until I added the spring). I built them out of 1/8" plate steel (could use 16 ga. sheet would be alittle lighter weight) welded together with some angle peices too. It's pretty heavy duty. I've accidentally ran it into the edge of asphalt parking lot and it jerked the mower around alittle but didn't damage the plate, but it actually the plate dug into the asphalt alittle!! plate was closed and it was on a bank sideways the asphalt met the bank at an angle... works terrific though.

mar31188.jpg