1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discharge Shute Enlargement

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Total.Lawn.Care, Sep 8, 2006.

1. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

I have an Exmark 36" Belt Drive WB and a John Deere 727 54" Ztr. I have almost no clumpign problems with my Deere due to the design of the 7 Iron II Deck and the LARGE discharge Shute. I was wondering if anyone has cut their deck to enlarge to discharge shute and allow thick, overgrown grass to escape the deck with greater ease and not clump up and cause the mower to bog down.

I have thought about using a plasma cutter to open up the rear of the discharge opening and flattening the back side of the discharge schroud to emulte the opening and scroud design on my Deere but I wanted some feedback first. Do not want to cut it out and have to weld it back later...
  2. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

Your on the right track but think of how much more grass comes out of the larger deck. And cutting it would prolly comprimise strengh, to.
  3. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

I did exactly what you describe on an Exmark Metro several years ago and yes less clumping and did not effect the cut. Everyone told me I can't just cut a deck; I did and it improved the machine. Start by just shaving off an inch and go from there.
  4. Total.Lawn.Care

I thought about basically knocking out the side of the deck rear of the opening to the first bend at the back of the deck so that the grass cannot get caught and start to clump in that back corner.

Henry -- How much of your deck did you end up cutting out???
  5. HenryB

An inch or two at most for me. You could cut even more if you like.
  6. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

Hope you welded on some type of "frame" or enlarged discharge chute extension so blades are properly covered. I would hate to think of liability if end of blade extended beyond discharge chute.
  7. Total.Lawn.Care

THe chute on this mower is boxed around the front and back. I plannes on taking the back side a flattening it out similar to the chute on the JD, It shields the front and the top, but is open on the back to facilitate the throw pattern. Do not fear. I plan on keeping the safety in mind.
  8. Godfather

Godfather LawnSite Member

i open my discharge shoot to mow
  9. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

You know, I have the same 727A with the 54" deck, but I never thought about cutting or disfiguring anything I owned that was designed by a bunch of engineers way smarter than me. As was mentioned earlier in this thread... forget about less clumping and think about more safety.
  10. HenryB

Those guys are no smarter than you, many of them never cut a lawn.There are a lot of things that can easily be improved.