1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discharge shuteguard

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doug406, May 1, 2000.

1. Doug406

Doug406 LawnSite Member

Do you recommend keeping the guards on for safety sake. Or is the discharge shute guard a bigrer pain in the butt?
  2. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Unless you are mowing in the middle of 20 acres I would not take it off. One rock stuck in somebodys head would haunt you for a lifetime! Fabricate a flip up chute like the choppers have, then if you want it up its up, want it down, it's down. If you start altering your safety devices and an accident happens your that much closer to being in a big heap of s#@%@#.<p>Homer

MRPLOW LawnSite Member

The fact of the matter is that most people don't use the chute because it discharges better with it off. I personally just took the little spring off so I can flip it down in certain areas.
  4. paddy

paddy LawnSite Member

I took mine off. I always thought it would useful to put an anti-scalp wheel on the front of the chute, so it doesn't get stuck on hill sides
  5. yardsmith

yardsmith LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I try to keep mine on. You never know when Osha might be making random checks. <br>I also took the spring out of one so it stays up if I need it, & can flip down when needed too.<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>